Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2012 TGlide Trunk Latch Thought

Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,242 Likes on 11,134 Posts
Default 2012 TGlide Trunk Latch Thought

From the begining, I had trouble shutting my trunk, and having the latch engage to keep it closed. I worked around this by pressing in the release button and then shutting the trunk.

Then my brain kicked in. I recalled reading some stuff on this forum about the latch breaking, and thought of my experience. As my brain slowly engaged...I thought what would happen if we just slammed the trunk a bit harder? That should get the little latch bugger to move up and capture the chamfered plunger thingy. But, as my brain got more speed... I thought this would certainly put a lot of impact stress on the whole latch mechanism.

Then I thought of one of the basic rules of engineering: "If it is supposed to move and it doesn't spray it with WD40". So I did...and now it works smoothly and latches perfectly with just a little lovn shove!

500 miles later I have yet to not be able to close the trunk with a little shove...and have not had anyone look admiringly at my beautiful rig and say "Hey dude! Your trunk is open!"...

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
BearG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'd laugh at you, but I stayed after work today to clean mine. Well it seems I didn't secure mine and almost walked into it after I got home. And the Vivid black my wife loved so much in the showroom over the sunglow I wanted is a Bi*** to clean and wax.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Tjackson
Intermediate

I'm still haveing trouble with mine leaking, I wash the bike and there's about an inch of water in the trunk! NOT GOOD! The dealer in Or worked on it for two days and assured me that it was fixed. It was untill the bike got wet! I'm going to try the dealer here in San Antonio, see if they can do a better job.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Dalenut3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BearG
Well I'd laugh at you, but I stayed after work today to clean mine. Well it seems I didn't secure mine and almost walked into it after I got home. And the Vivid black my wife loved so much in the showroom over the sunglow I wanted is a Bi*** to clean and wax.
BearG,i too have a wife that fell in love with the vivid black in the showroom!! Now i dont feel so bad!! Just remember brother,black bikes are FASTER!!

Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalenut3
BearG,i too have a wife that fell in love with the vivid black in the showroom!! Now i dont feel so bad!! Just remember brother,black bikes are FASTER!!
Sun Glo Red ones are pretty fast and quick also

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

Harley adjusted my trunk lock under original warranty. However, I still lube it periodically and it stays closed. My biggest concern is that the trunk door will come open when pulling my trailer, causing trunk lid damage by hitting the trailer coupler.

So.....I made "trunk lid restrictor". It is basically a double ended latch which connects to both sides of the trunk lid cables. Before I close the lid, I fasten it to both lid cables, pulling the cables toward each other. If the lid opens while I am riding, the lid will only come down about 4 inches. Works very well and easy to disconnect and provides a safety net in case the trunk opens during riding.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Sun Glo Red ones are pretty fast and quick also
I was out riding the other day and guess what? I passed a Sun glo Red TG with ease. It must have had engine trouble....

Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 PM
BearG
Advanced

Black, red blue, and what ever 2013 brings their all cool. But Dalent3 is right black is fast.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I was out riding the other day and guess what? I passed a Sun glo Red TG with ease. It must have had engine trouble....
That was probably me. I was only kidding when I said Red was fast and quick.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced

Hmmm, I was sure my dealer told me the red trikes were faster

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 TGlide Trunk Latch Thought