EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fuel Line leaking

Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line leaking

Hi all. I've researched some of the older threads and i think I need to replace my fuel lines. I've getting some leaking from the swivel. I've replaced the o-rings on the part of the swivel that threads into the tank, but still get some leaking. My research on this site makes me thin the internal o-rings in the swivel are bad and they can't be replaced. Several people reference part number HDFL005 from goodridge. The fitment for this part seems odd, it dances all around my model, which is a 96 FLHTCI. The JP cycle site shows it fitting the Ultra's and RK's from this year, but not the Classics. DO you think this is an error on the information, or is there something unique about my bike that wouldn't allow me to use these lines?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your best & quickest repair is going to be to pull the part & jump into your truck to go find a new one or a good used one from a local motorcycle bone yard. Most stuff today is throw away built which increases revenue to the parts industry.
If I could see the part, I might be able to help more.
Hatch.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,682 Likes on 1,339 Posts

What's a swivel? Is this an EFI bike?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
What's a swivel? Is this an EFI bike?
Yes, it's EFI. Apologies if I don't have the nomenclature correct. The two lines thread into the bottom of the tank. The rubber fuel lines are fitted into a metal 90degree fitting. The top part of this fitting is threaded and spins free, which is what I called the swivel, so you can screw it into the bottom of the gas tank. There is an o-ring for the threads that go into the tank, I replaced those but still get a couple of drips after I ride. Looking at older threads the internal part of the metal fitting has o-rings as well, but they can't be replaced, which is why I was looking to replace the lines. HD wants $180 each, I can get the braided metal set from JP and other places for less than $180 for a pair but I am worried about fitment.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

Originally Posted by hatchetman
I think your best & quickest repair is going to be to pull the part & jump into your truck to go find a new one or a good used one from a local motorcycle bone yard. Most stuff today is throw away built which increases revenue to the parts industry.
If I could see the part, I might be able to help more.
Hatch.
I'll try to get a pic when I get home.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,682 Likes on 1,339 Posts

OK. I don't have any experience with that model. However, the "Classic" is no different than the "non-Classic" bikes as far as the drive train goes. Historically, "Classic" means a different paint job and maybe some more chrome or a radio or other accessory.

Is Goodridge a US company? Find their web page, call them up and ask tech support. Also, JP has pretty good tech support as well.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Isn't the Ultra an Ultra Classic? Built on the Electra Glide Frame?

If it fits the RK & Ultra's it should fit yours. They have used the same fuel line from 1996-1998. The nice thing about the Goodridge lines is that the internal O-rings are replaceable should they ever leak again.

BTW you will need the O ring kit from HD part number HD 17403-95. Get a couple extra of the small snap rings (HD11150) that go on the injector side of the fuel line. I will guarantee one or two will go flying when you try to replace them.

Also you do not have to remove the tank completely to do it. Just wedge it up a few inches, and you can get the lines off that way.

Last edited by larsfum; 06-01-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the braided line one from J&P. it looks great and had no issues with the part.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

I'm finally getting around to changing these out, been doing to much on the honey-do list to take the time. One of you kind people told me:

BTW you will need the O ring kit from HD part number HD 17403-95. Get a couple extra of the small snap rings (HD11150) that go on the injector side of the fuel line. I will guarantee one or two will go flying when you try to replace them.

I went to the dealership and got the snap rings, but they didn't recognize the o ring kit part number. We pulled the book and the only o-rings we could find were the ones that go on the end that screws into the tank. Am I missing something?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleachey
Get a couple extra of the small snap rings (HD11150) that go on the injector side of the fuel line. I will guarantee one or two will go flying when you try to replace them.
When I was a kid dad told me snap rings were called Jesus Rings. (That is what he said every time one when flying.)

I didn't learn the correct term till I was 37.

You can get a box of O-rings from the auto parts store for under $20. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...assortment+box

Last edited by texashillcountry; 07-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Line leaking