Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank position sensor

Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
micg1313
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank position sensor

While i was out riding on one of the last warm days in November ,out of the nowhere doing 60 mph in traffic my bike just stopped running no engine noise nothing. I did have lights though. After coasting over to the shoulder and trying to restart the bike it would not fire. at first i thought it was fuel related . IT was not fuel . Had to have bike towed to dealer. Dealer's service dept called me late next day to say i need new crank position sensor, and possible cam position senor as well. thats all fine and well that i need these replaced but i could have been F@#$$% ing KILLED if it was in rush hour traffic. Anyone have this happen to them . The bike 1999 fwdwg bought brand new has less than 12,000 miles on it.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: crank position sensor

Not on my HDs, but a CPS went bad on a basically new Henderson. They also had to remap the ECM, but runs great now.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

These things do fail over the life of the bike.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 939 Likes on 398 Posts

Yup, my crank position sensor went too. I thought it was fuel or spark related also. I was lucky though, it just wouldn't start after rolling it out of the garage.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,123 Likes on 5,582 Posts

Same thing happened to my 2002 FXD. Only instead of just dying suddenly, it spit and sputtered for a few seconds, then died.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM
wideglidedan
Cruiser

how much did it cost you guys to replace it?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 AM
roadking1550
Stage IV
Default bad ckp or cmp?

I have an intermittent misfire or timing problem at steady rpms,usually just over 2000. Doesn't do it all the time,seems to be worst when restarting after a short shutdown or when the bike is hot.Any ideas? The ride is a 2002 FLHRSEI Screamin' Eagle Road King.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
red69camaro
Tourer

I'm not sure if it's in the manual but I know on cars, you can take a ohm reading aand calculate for the temperture to see if it is bad.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM
jerryallora
6th Gear

Roadking1550-Had the same problem with my 04 Sportster and thought it was kind of dangerous to ride that way, never knowing when it would sputter, especially when making left turns into traffic. I bit the bullet and brought it to Harley. They diagnosed it in 5 minutes and I was out of there in an hour. The crank sensor, parts, labor & tax $140. I have 6000 miles, but what could you do, needed it and I glad to have the bike running fine again

Old 06-03-2016, 02:02 PM
creepychicken
Stage II
Default Crank position sensor problems

Hey There,

I know this is an old thread, but I've searched the internet for a while now to find what the hell's wrong with my bike. I have a 1999 FXDWG, and the same problem that you had with yours has been happening to me, however, I am able to start it back up after leaving it sitting for a while. Anyway, I've changed numerous things and worked on others to resolve the problem and even taken it to a few mechanics with no luck. I just ordered a crank position sensor and plan on changing it out tonight. Did you change yours out yourself? Is there anything special about the installation or is it just plug and play? Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance. I hope to hear from you. I'm at my wits end with this **** and really hope this works!

Thanks,

Liz
Originally Posted by micg1313
While i was out riding on one of the last warm days in November ,out of the nowhere doing 60 mph in traffic my bike just stopped running no engine noise nothing. I did have lights though. After coasting over to the shoulder and trying to restart the bike it would not fire. at first i thought it was fuel related . IT was not fuel . Had to have bike towed to dealer. Dealer's service dept called me late next day to say i need new crank position sensor, and possible cam position senor as well. thats all fine and well that i need these replaced but i could have been F@#$$% ing KILLED if it was in rush hour traffic. Anyone have this happen to them . The bike 1999 fwdwg bought brand new has less than 12,000 miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crank position sensor