Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?

Old 12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?

I have a 2005 Fat Boy SE 103" with Samson II ,Rip Saws. They don't come with baffles. The previous owner had the Samson exhaust installed with power cones and it is dialed in perfectly, as far as my seat of the pants feel. I have no problem with low end torque. The exhaust sound is excellent, except for how loud it is.
I installed lollipops, not for performance just hoping this minimal restriction would quiet the exhaust a hair. They did change the sound by taking just a little raspiness (if that word makes sense) out and adding a bit lower deeper sound. I also think it made the volume a hair quieter.
Does anyone have any tips on knocking some of the sound level down on drag pipes, without chocking them up with regular baffles.
My concern is, if I alter the air flow too much, it will effect performance and I will have to have the bike re tuned.
I bought some copper reducers 1 1/2" to 1" as suggested, for improving torque in one of the top permanent posts, on drag pipes. I haven't tried them yet and was wondering if I drilled numerous holes in the 1" section of the reducers if that might knock the sound level down a bit.
I like reasonably loud pipes but mine are ridiculously loud, too the point of restricting my driving style.
Tom

Old 12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?

It looks like getting any baffle past the turned downed ends is going to be difficult.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:48 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks cause they look awesome .

Old 12-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to check here: http://www.bigcitythunder.com/

Old 12-02-2006, 03:25 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

It looks like getting any baffle past the turned downed ends is going to be difficult.
The turn down tips slide on under heat shield and bolt on to the straight pipes. I have had them off a couple of times. I have the lollipops in the tips.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:16 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

The turn down tips slide on under heat shield and bolt on to the straight pipes. I have had them off a couple of times. I have the lollipops in the tips.
In that case, I'd get a couple of cheapo shorty baffles and bolt in them. You can bend down the vanes in them to get more noise if you want it. They are only about 6 or 8 bucks from places like J&P.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the replies.
I was looking at the J&P catalog earlier. That was why I wondering if there was any other tricks I could try, before I ordered some of their short drag pipe mufflers.
I will try my copper pipe reducers first, to see if they knock a decimal or 2 off the sound level.
With the lollipops and the reducers in my pipes I will have basically the same setup as the Thunder baffles.
Tom

Old 12-02-2006, 10:58 PM
chrism84
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have samson pipes on my bike....you dont quite down drag pipes lol....i put baffles in mine and they are still loud as hell...mine are odler so for the holidays i am getting myelf a nice set of VANCE AND HINES,,.,,,samsons are beautiful pipes but from my own experience thats all they are...atleast on my sporty.....maybe they work better on the bigger motors, but still tehy are not good for low rpm riding....well good luck in quiteing....the diameter is so huge on these pipes its hard

Old 12-03-2006, 01:37 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: chrism84

i have samson pipes on my bike....you dont quite down drag pipes lol....i put baffles in mine and they are still loud as hell...mine are odler so for the holidays i am getting myelf a nice set of VANCE AND HINES,,.,,,samsons are beautiful pipes but from my own experience thats all they are...atleast on my sporty.....maybe they work better on the bigger motors, but still tehy are not good for low rpm riding....well good luck in quiteing....the diameter is so huge on these pipes its hard
The o/d diameter on mine are just 1 3/4". They look bigger because of the heat shields. My bike runs great with them on. I don't know what the previous owner used to get them dialed in so good. If I could just quiet them down just a little, which would still leave them louder than 90 percent of the bikes out there, I would be content.
I don't intend on taking the Samsons off. I like the performance and the looks.
Tom

Old 12-03-2006, 01:51 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

Thanks for the replies.
I was looking at the J&P catalog earlier. That was why I wondering if there was any other tricks I could try, before I ordered some of their short drag pipe mufflers.
I will try my copper pipe reducers first, to see if they knock a decimal or 2 off the sound level.
With the lollipops and the reducers in my pipes I will have basically the same setup as the Thunder baffles.
Tom

And a whole lot less expensive, too! Definitely try the reducers, but don't be surprised if they do little to quiet things up. From my experience, 1-3/4 inch pipes are inherently raspier than the larger diameter pipes. That's a shame, as they definitely outperform the 2 inch & up jobs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?