Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM TW-222 Cam reviews needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 PM
punisher660
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM TW-222 Cam reviews - UPDATE

So I'm getting ready to call Jamie in the morning and order my TW-222 cam kit. Oh man - so many different directions I want to go in with my bike all at the same time - hard saddle bags, custom rear rack mount.... the list is endless, and the budget is limited.

That being said, my bike has the 103, and I already have the FM Jackpot Mufflers, 2-1-2 header, Power Vision, FM SE-intake - I don't plan to go to the 107 kit or do head work (at least not for a very long while). I do want more power down low as I do a considerable amount of miles two up with luggage (hence the other projects to come later).

I have scoured the forums and am only finding a couple of posts with guys running the TW-222. So far they say they like it, and I know it has been released for a short time, I'm just wondering if any others have installed it recently and could give me more feedback? Was it worth the money?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, and could still do the bags or rear rack first, but I figured I already have bags (even though their classic bags) and I have a regular rack that will get my by until my next really big trip (Summer 2013) - so I'm leaning towards doing the cam first. This will finish out my performance mods for quite some time. After that, it will be improving luggage capacity and then accessories to personalize it all for my style.

Thoughts, input, or suggestions?

Last edited by punisher660; 09-21-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by punisher660
So I'm getting ready to call Jamie in the morning and order my TW-222 cam kit. Oh man - so many different directions I want to go in with my bike all at the same time - hard saddle bags, custom rear rack mount.... the list is endless, and the budget is limited.

That being said, my bike has the 103, and I already have the FM JackpotN Mufflers, 2-1-2 header, Power Vision, FM SE-intake - I don't plan to go to the 107 kit or do head work (at least not for a very long while). I do want more power down low as I do a considerable amount of miles two up with luggage (hence the other projects to come later).

I have scoured the forums and am only finding a couple of posts with guys running the TW-222. So far they say they like it, and I know it has been released for a short time, I'm just wondering if any others have installed it recently and could give me more feedback? Was it worth the money?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, and could still do the bags or rear rack first, but I figured I already have bags (even though their classic bags) and I have a regular rack that will get my by until my next really big trip (Summer 2013) - so I'm leaning towards doing the cam first. This will finish out my performance mods for quite some time. After that, it will be improving luggage capacity and then accessories to personalize it all for my style.

Thoughts, input, or suggestions?
I called Fuel Moto earlier this week and they are saying they will not have them until the end of the month. I'm waiting as well.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Here are two dyno charts for the 103/222 combo from the Fuel Moto site. I think they are impressive. I'm wondering how the cams' 34° intake close will fare in a TC96 with its lower compression, and hopefully a chart on that combo will be coming soon.

2011 Touring with Jackpot 2/1 exhaust, Stage 1 air cleaner, and Power Vision:

2012 Touring with Jackpot Dyno tuned mufflers, Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe, Stage 1 air cleaner, Power Vision:

Last edited by iclick; 08-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,006 Likes on 21,322 Posts

You might want to consider the Cyclerama 575 cams.
That is the only cam that they make too.
That is how sure they are of their product. FWIW.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like the Woods 222 is similar in spec to the Andrews 48H. Not apples/apples but maybe look at some Andrews 48H results...

Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
punisher660
Tourer

The only reason I am leaning towards the TW-222 is because the rest of my setup is all Fuel Moto and I'm betting their maps will be dead on. If I go with an Andrews or the other brand, wont that make it tougher to tune it spot on?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
punisher660
Tourer

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
I called Fuel Moto earlier this week and they are saying they will not have them until the end of the month. I'm waiting as well.

Not that I doubted you, but I just had to double check for myself and you sir are correct - not available until the end of the month.

This is going to be a long couple of weeks.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

The only reason I am leaning towards the TW-222 is because the rest of my setup is all Fuel Moto and I'm betting their maps will be dead on. If I go with an Andrews or the other brand, wont that make it tougher to tune it spot on?
This could be true but FM may have maps of builds with the Andrews 48H as it is also a popular cam set ...

Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM
punisher660
Tourer

I run with my PowerVision on my handle bars. For those that have not used one, some of the cool features are that you can run multiple digital gauges at the same time. I watch my RPM, fuel mileage, and gear selection on my primary screen. I get the best mileage at aprx 2700 rpm and feel the most power at aprx 3500 - 4000 rpm. (I haven't really pushed beyond that to tell if there is more power in the upper range).

I've been pouring over the dyno sheets and the TW-222 seems to make the most power down in the range where I ride (2700 rpm). If you look at the sheets even posted in this thread the 222 appears to be at 65hp @ 3Krpm vs 62hp on the other.

I will admit that I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to some of this stuff, so aside from low speed pulling power, how would you describe the benefits of torque vs. horsepower? I generally judge performance by how fast my speedometer is climbing.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

He'll have a PCV map and PV tune for '11 and '12 103's with 222 cams, but since it's a new product that may be it for now. SE255 maps/tunes are plentiful since it is the most popular bagger cam and has been on the market for several years, but I don't know about the 48H. It does work well in the 103, though.

You can self-tune your bike with the PV in the closed-loop area only. Add the AT-100 and you can tune the entire operating range.

I run with my PowerVision on my handle bars. For those that have not used one, some of the cool features are that you can run multiple digital gauges at the same time. I watch my RPM, fuel mileage, and gear selection on my primary screen.
It's also good for diagnostics. I'm having a minor problem with sporadic high-idle (again) and the TPS and MAP sensors are my top suspects. With the PV I can monitor TPS and MAP-sensor voltage and parameters to see if they show any signs of being outside of normal when the high-idle syndrome hits again, and that may help pinpoint the culprit.

I typically watch ET (FCHT), TP, instant MPG, average MPG, Fuel Used, and distance traveled (the last four measured after the last reset, usually at fill-up). On another gauge I watch Lambda (AFR) from the WB O2 sensors among others. Very useful.

Last edited by iclick; 08-17-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: FM TW-222 Cam reviews needed