Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody do the oil pump spring kit for better oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anybody do the oil pump spring kit for better oil pressure?

Just curious if anybody tried the spring kit to get better oil pressure. I have a 99 EG Standard that I bought a couple of months ago and the dealer put new tensioners in it, the old spring type. The bike runs fine I would just like to have a little better oil pressure then below 5 hot at idle, any pros or cons?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb35
Just curious if anybody tried the spring kit to get better oil pressure. I have a 99 EG Standard that I bought a couple of months ago and the dealer put new tensioners in it, the old spring type. The bike runs fine I would just like to have a little better oil pressure then below 5 hot at idle, any pros or cons?
On your year bike, the Baisley Oil Spring is recommended.
I was going to put one in my 09 but from what I've read, it's really not necessary with the new oil pumps. Cheap enough at about $15 shipped but if it's not going to make a big difference in my bike, why fix something that's not broken.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E.R.T products. Better than a spring and adjustable

Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ok, there is a company named ERT Products, they have a kit that is $70, comes with 3 different oil springs, cover gasket, tool for putting in the new spring, 3 roll pins and 2 exhaust gaskets, the 3 different springs let you adjust the pressure to where you want it. Just wanted to hear from somone that has done this and the difference it made.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

I've got the 30% Baisley spring in my '09. It make quite a difference. It's hard to give you exact pressure reading due to the nature of the HD oil gauge, but I would say I'm pushing 50# at 3000 rpm with 210 degree oil temp. Idle pressure is about twice stock. It will be different with an early model, but it should be better than what you have now. Baisley also offers a 15% spring.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

HVLP, High Volume Low Pressure; that is the type of oiling system used in the Twin Cam. Its a little different from what folks are acustomed to, higher pressure will not necessarily improve lubrication.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Fab, your the oil guy here on POF. I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, but would the added oil pressure help the engine shed heat quicker because of the increased in volume (flow)?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I put the Baisley spring i n to get rid of the excess valve train noise. a year later and it worked. 50-55 at cruise. as mentioned more than stock at idle

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
Hey Fab, your the oil guy here on POF. I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, but would the added oil pressure help the engine shed heat quicker because of the increased in volume (flow)?
No way man, I dont know much about oil itself just a little about the thermal aspect and the lubrication system, but I don't think you will see a significant increase in volume by increasing pressure, at least not enough to see a measurable drop in temperature. I'm pretty sure you have to open up all the journals and port in order to increase flow.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I put a slug under my stock spring they sell for about $6.00 - same pressures as the Beasly. Oil temps will run the same.
The one thing I don't like about it is cold pressures. My gauge pegs out with a slight rev (probably 80-90 lbs), so for the first couple miles it doesn't even try to regulate and I have to ride at a low chug until some heat hits the oil and it stays under 60 lbs.

I can't see this working in winter (I ride all year long, all temps) so will have to take it out. Is the Beasly spring just as bad on this?
I DO like seeing 20 lb. idle pressures when hot though. Like a new bike.

Quick Reply: Anybody do the oil pump spring kit for better oil pressure?