Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Raising the Gas Tank

Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Raising the Gas Tank

I just installed this 1 1/2" tank lift and thought I would share some pics.What I liked the most is that I (wife) can clean the rockerboxes. Also there should be a little more heat escape/air flow for the top end.

The first pic is stock, the second is with the lifts installed on front only,the third is with the rear also lifted, and the forth shows being able to reach the top of the rockerboxes. Raising the rear didnt help a lot as far as cleaning but it sure didnt hurt to do it.

I got the lifts from our forum sponser, Kevin @ DK Customs.

Attached Thumbnails Raising the Gas Tank-img_0589.jpg   Raising the Gas Tank-img_0591.jpg   Raising the Gas Tank-img_0592.jpg   Raising the Gas Tank-img_0594.jpg  

Last edited by icebite1; 01-17-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
I just installed this 1 1/2" tank lift and thought I would share some pics.What I liked the most is that I (wife) can clean the rockerboxes. Also there should be a little more heat escape/air flow for the top end.

The first pic is stock, the second is with the lifts installed,the third is with the rear also lifted, and the forth shows being able to reach the top of the rockerboxes. Raising the rear didnt help a lot as far as cleaning but it sure didnt hurt to do it.

Hard to install? How long? Did you have to take the tank off? It looks good. Thanks for the pics.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
spider2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did it affect the seat position?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The first pic is stock, the second is with the lifts installed,the third is with the rear also lifted, and the forth shows being able to reach the top of the rockerboxes. Raising the rear didnt help a lot as far as cleaning but it sure didnt hurt to do it.

If my dad sees this I may have some more work to do this winter.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Now back for the crotch coolers ! Works and looks great, but it leaves a nice gap above the heat shield. A large leather crotch cooler is in order here I think !

Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
If my dad sees this I may have some more work to do this winter.
It'll keep you out of trouble. You must remember you won't have anything to do to your Gold Wing. You know the saying" Busy Hands Are Happy Hands"

Old 08-29-2012, 03:21 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
it'll keep you out of trouble. You must remember you won't have anything to do to your gold wing. You know the saying" busy hands are happy hands"

lol....

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Takes less than an hour.
Remove the seat, loosen the two front tank bolts, remove the two rear tank bolts and install rear lifts if you are doing them also otherwise just loosen the bolts. Now remove the front bolts and install the front lifts. Tighten everything down and replace the seat. All done.
No difference in seat height but if you are raising the rear also as I did then the nose of the seat is up about 1" as you may be able to see in the pics. You cant notice it unless you are down looking straight across such as where i took the pics. I didnt notice any different feel in the seat when I sat on it.
If you do the rear lifts also put the rear spacers in befor you remove the front bolts.

Last edited by icebite1; 01-17-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Now back for the crotch coolers ! Works and looks great, but it leaves a nice gap above the heat shield. A large leather crotch cooler is in order here I think !
I will check out the Crotch coolers, the '07 RK I just got doesnt have the heat shields ,I already installed them on my other RK, so I can move the TG shields to my RK and use the larger C Coolers on her TG. If I go that way ill post a pic.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Glad you're liking them.

Next time you are out on a ride, see if you notice any difference in the air coming up over the top front of the tank.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raising the Gas Tank