Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Coating: VHT or Jet-Hot or Other??

Old 08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Collk88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Coating: VHT or Jet-Hot or Other??

Hey all. Just purchased a used set of Rinehart Cross-backs for my FXDX. They are the black pipes with chrome shields. The black is a bit dulled, and showing some surface rust in a few areas. I'm thinking before I install them, I should have them re-coated black and they should be "good as new". I was thinking of sending them to Jet-Hot. I've read a bit online and got mixed opinions, obviously. I'm less concerned with heat retention, and more concerned about rust inhibiting, Durability and making them look nice and new again. I've also read some good things about the new VHT Flame-proof paint in a can which needs to be cured in an oven. Any thoughts???

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VHT paint can be cured with the parts on the bike, tried it myself and it worked great. I used the run cool run method below but I also did on a pretty hot day as I read several places that it works better when the air temps are higher and the humidity levels are low. So no cold rainy days.

let the bike idle for 10 mins, cool for 20, idle for 20, cool for 20, and then run for 30

I used it on my stock mufflers and it worked great. Just follow the directions on the can for prep and paint. I got mine through Summit Racing cause they have a good selection of Summit brand VHT's in several colors and different temp ranges depending on what your needing to use it on. I have been told for exhaust stick with the higher temp stuff and stay away from the 600 and below. I would say that ceramic coating like JetHot does is probably a bit thicker more durable coating but considering it costs hundreds of dollars vs like $30 a can for VHT kind of hard to justify the cost IMO.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

We are a forum sponser and will gladly help you out... we have coated tons of pipes... here are just a few we have done for forum members. As long as the bike is properly tuned reg powder will be just fine... if you are worried about it we also stock high heat powders that we have used as well. please let me know if you have any questions i am more than happy to help

and then of course mine on my bike

Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Collk88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info guys...
It's not that I don't care about heat retention, My main concern is having done once and not worrying about having to re-coat them every year. My main purpose is durability. The problem I'm finding is that most pictures people post are right after they have their pipes coated. I'd like to see pictures of pipes 2/5/10 years down the road and how they hold up. A properly tuned bike, should not have heat issues. I've been looking into ceramic coatings because I was under the assumption that it holds up better over time. If powder or even High-temp powder coat will hold up just as well, then I'd be happy. I am open to any information that may help make my mind up on a choice!