Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:38 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation

Well, I am in deep now! lol

Everything is apart, my only issue right now is taking apart the Molex connectors to get the wires through the new bars (which are not in yet but should be in by the end of the week).

Lots of sticky and lubricating stuff all around both switch housings. Not sure what it is but I am sure it is there for a reason.

Funny fact #1 ... my left handlebar grip slid right now... it was not taped with adhesive, paint or anything to hold it in place (other than the switch housing and clutch housing. It practically fell off after I got those housings apart. My guess is whoever put these on just slid them on with spraying any kind of paint or using any kind of glue. Good for me now when changing out the bars but...yikes.

Here are some pics so far:

I am really proud of myself for taking on such a task. I would have thought this was way over my head when I first bought my bike. But now, I feel really confident in doing these things. Believe me, if I can do it... ANYONE can. I am about as far from a wrench as it gets. I just really enjoy working on my bike and saying $450 to boot.

I have been thinking about changing out my throttle/idle cable, brake cable and clutch cables to the braided lines. I guess this would be a good time to do those since I have this broken down this far? My biggest issue is I believe I would have to remove the tank to replace the idle/throttle cables... right?

EDIT: Here are BEFORE and AFTER pics:

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by ghoticov; 09-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Smokey Burnouts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you got it all under control!! Yeah now would be the ideal time to change the cables and lines if your gonna do it.

Keep us posted with the progress!

Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smokey Burnouts
Looks like you got it all under control!! Yeah now would be the ideal time to change the cables and lines if your gonna do it.

Keep us posted with the progress!
Thanks!

I am researching on how to replace the cables now... research, research, research. I feel like I spend most of the time just researching how to do it. lol

Anyone know any links offhand that would help with any of the cable installs?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Since I am this far into the project, I am going to go ahead and do the braided lines. I have read how to do them, seems pretty simple enough.

My question now is how do I know what cables to buy for these 12" Wild 1 Outlawz? I don't feel I have to have HD's braided cables. Can someone link me to some good braided cables? I have seen them price about $60 or so but I can't find links... or the size I would need (or how my current ones are measured).

EDIT: I found this site:
http://magnumshielding.com/store/app...&app_year=2007

My question is I am not sure my stock cables will work with my new bars. I am HOPING so but would it be best if I wait until I get my new bars and put them on the bike to see if the stock switch housing cables will work? If so, I would assume all my other stock cables would work too? So I could go to the site above and order the braided cables in my "stock" length.

Also, are the Magnum Shielding braided cables good?

Last edited by ghoticov; 09-03-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Finally got the molex connectors apart so I am ready to go once the bars get here! I am also second guessing myself with going with braided lines or not. My switch housings are still black and I still have a lot of black on my bike (the stripes on the tins and the frame/swing arm) so I am thinking about leaving them black. Decisions, decisions...

Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
gump305
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the best ways to check new cable length would be to mount up the new bars and bring cables as close as you can and measure the distance needed. I would turn the bars to full lock both ways and measure. It never hurts to add 2-3 inches so if you want to go with taller bars down the road it would be easy.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
gump305
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you can get the HD braided cables in black. I would go with the HD braided cables if possible, they tend to have better casings and very smooth action to them.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by gump305
I think you can get the HD braided cables in black. I would go with the HD braided cables if possible, they tend to have better casings and very smooth action to them.
Ahhhh... good idea. I didn't realize that different cable would actually feel nicer. I just thought they would look nicer. If I am going to change the cable though, I would probably go ahead and go with stainless or chrome braided cables because I do think they look nice. Looks like all the cable would be about $300.... yikes. Probably can't swing that right now so I will probably end up just using my stock cables for now....but at least the switching housing wires will be internally wired.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
Ahhhh... good idea. I didn't realize that different cable would actually feel nicer. I just thought they would look nicer. If I am going to change the cable though, I would probably go ahead and go with stainless or chrome braided cables because I do think they look nice. Looks like all the cable would be about $300.... yikes. Probably can't swing that right now so I will probably end up just using my stock cables for now....but at least the switching housing wires will be internally wired.
Your stock cables will reach 12" apes??? I put 12" apes on mine and my stock cables were nowhere even close to reaching. Lucky for me a complete set of diamondback cables came with my wild1's, because I was not looking forward to spending another 300 bucks.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I went with the chromite lines from magnum shielding when I put 16" gangster apes on my 08 heritage. I ended up going +8" on everything and it worked out great, the clutch and throttle are real smooth way better than my stock HD lines and they look awesome. When I did my sporty I went with 14" Burly narrow apes and their 14" cable kit. The Burly cable kit is great and I am not trying to knock their product in anyway but I did notice a differance in how smooth the opperation was. I am sure there are many other variables as well as the lines. The Burly cables are all black and while they work on my sporty since it is satin black to begin with I gotta say the chrome lines on the heritage just have a lot more of a finished look to them.

Quick Reply: Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation