Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tail Light Causes Red Security Light on Speedometer - Fix or, put stock back on?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New Tail Light Causes Red Security Light on Speedometer - Fix or, put stock back on?

Got my new LED tail light on my fatboy last night, and now when i start bike the security ligt comes on the first time i hit the brakes.. so it has to be some type of voltage issue with the new light.... anyone have experience?? When i backtracked and installed the OE light, the security light does not come on.....i like the light, but can not STAND the red light being on (( it has not affected the bikes running at all- its just on))

I guess i got 2 choices/

a) re-install factory lense and bulb

b) never use the brakes!!! Who needs them anyway!!!

or ????

Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Blackline does the same thing since i put LED bulbs in my turn signals. Hopefully somebody knows a way to correct this. The light can get annoying but it only comes on occasionally

Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

I believe the red light comes on if there isn't enough voltage draw...such as a burned out bulb. The system may be sensing the low voltage on the LED. You may need a load equalizer for it to work.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

My Blackline does the same thing since having the LED strip put on my bike. I have just lived with it so far.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your light is from Bright *** Lights, they are working on the fix and hope to have the new circuit boards ready within the month

We upgraded the wife's FatBoy to the BAL and it immediately triggers the red light on the speedo

contacted them and they were aware of it, they are working on the fix and you simply have to contact them to get on the list and they will send you the replacement as soon as they have it

Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
ATL-HankO
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need one of these:
4857Alarm Compatible Load Equalizer (ea) All models equipped with H-D factory alarm from Kuryakyn.
$29.99

Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Deadanimal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My D2MOTO light has no issues on my 12 LO! I see you got a 12 Lo, what brand light you using?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
rojuwi
Cruiser

I have the BAL and it does that. I just ignore it. It bothered me at first but now I dont even notice it.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

I have the BAL light on my 07 Heritage and it has never done that.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A BAL-2 was installed on my 07 Dyna Low Rider in April of this year and I have had ZERO electrical issues with it so far. Husband has an 06 FLSTC-I and had Harley's LED tail light installed in the spring of 2010. No issues. Decided to get Harley's LED signal bar & signal lights and their LED fender tip LIGHTS FRONT AND REAR in the spring of 2011. We had NO ISSUES until last week, when the Engine light would re-appear for 3-4 seconds AFTER the engine start, then go off. We did a diagnostic's CODE CHECK on the odometer and found a P 0562 CODE which is the "BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE". We had a new battery installed in the spring as well and thought that maybe the Dealer didn't clear out the old diagnostics code. So we cleared the code and thought all was well
Then yesterday, not only did his engine light come on and go off again, but 40miles into the ride, the RED BATTERY LIGHT illuminated and stayed on until engine shut off. Same diagnostic's code re-appeared so we know we have a battery low voltage problem. Whether it's LED light related or maybe the voltage regulator is going, we dont know.
So it's back to the dealer to let them figure out stuff as we dont have the time or the experience to deal with electrical issues.
Below is the link to walk you through it. At least it's a start.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harleycodes.htm

Last edited by LWOS; 09-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Tail Light Causes Red Security Light on Speedometer - Fix or, put stock back on?