Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
azray7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Handlebar Speakers

Looking for some good advice from some of you road warriors. I finally have raised the funds to purchase some external speaker pods for my 2005 RKC. I have heard the new Harley Boom! speakers but haven't heard any others. I am pretty critical on audio sound, but realistic to the fact of speakers on a bike aren't going to sound like a home theatre. Right now, it is between the Boom! Audio and new 2012 Cycle Sounds Series 3 - 200 Watt speakers. Has anyone ever compared the two and if so which one sounded better?

Also, is there another brand that rocks that I might be missing? [Low price is always good, but in this case, I am willing to pay the extra $$$$ for good sound.]

Thanks everyone and enjoy the fall weather riding!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I have no experience riding with any of the clamp on speakers but I just can't believe they put out enough volume/clarity ,no matter the amps, to be of much use on a bike. Not to mention they look like crap? All the ones I've heard in the parking lot are pretty tinny/distorted. If I wanted tunes on my RK it would be a Ipod and earbuds.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can only speak about my set up. I have a 2011 RK with a Harley Boom! Windshield Stereo mounted. It is a clean install and looks good. It does sound good under 65 MPH. Above that it pretty much gets washed out from the wind.
I did some research when I purchased it. From what I can remember just about any of the handlebar speakers get washed out out highway speeds. I did see some larger systems mounted in buckets on the crash bar but have no input on them.
If I was to do it all over again I would have purchased a Reckless fairing and put a good marine system in it.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boom Audio

Originally Posted by fzggm4
I can only speak about my set up. I have a 2011 RK with a Harley Boom! Windshield Stereo mounted. It is a clean install and looks good. It does sound good under 65 MPH. Above that it pretty much gets washed out from the wind.
I did some research when I purchased it. From what I can remember just about any of the handlebar speakers get washed out out highway speeds. I did see some larger systems mounted in buckets on the crash bar but have no input on them.
If I was to do it all over again I would have purchased a Reckless fairing and put a good marine system in it.
Yea, what he said except the fairing part. I want to keep the Classic look on my RKC. I feed mine with an iPod, no problems.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

While I have no experience with the H-D Boom set-up, I have owned both internal/external amplified Rumble Roads handlebar speakers by MH Instruments. I found the external amp version to play a bit stronger. That said, they simply can't compare to a fairing powered stereo set-up. You can hear them fine (Rumble Roads) up to about 55mph but after that they become basically noise. Take off the windshield and forget about music. BUT, I'm willing to bet the H-D Booms are an improved system. Good luck....

Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife bought the H-D Boom handlebar speakers. They lasted almost exactly a week, then the amp started overheating, and the sound would cut out after about 10 minutes. Even when they worked, you could barely hear them. They went in the trash ...... bought the MH 100 watt Rumble Road speakers. Those things will rip your face off if you crank them up. She said she can hear them fine, no matter how fast she has to go to keep up with me ........

Last edited by shooter5074; 09-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
azray7
Advanced

I was hoping to get some fairly goog sound with one of the newer "improved" speaker pods.

Thanks for the input! Anyone else have anything that's worked well?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 PM
azray7
Advanced

BTW Shooter5074 - love the cool blue pearl!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Dep
Intermediate

I installed the Boom speakers on my 01 road king, save your money. Try sharkmotorcycle audio.They have a large selection of different kinds, and at 1/3 the cost of Harley's ....

Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

You should consider a set of J&M MHAS 2008 speakers. I had them on my Heritage. At 75 mph with a Thunderheader they had no problems making themselves heard. Plenty of volume and 100% water proof.

They were actually louder and sounded better than the stock stereo on my RGU!

Here is a link to a review I wrote...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...er-review.html

and here is a link to a review by Dr Vtwin...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-mile-day.html

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Handlebar Speakers