Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs. Dyna.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Softail vs. Dyna.

Since Im posting this here, I'm pretty sure what the outcome is gonna be.

The thing is. I live in a small town, in a small expensive country, with a short ridingseason, so here's not much Harleys around.

I'm very happy with my Crossbones, and I really don't care that it handles like crap compared to "modern" bikes. But I guess the Dyna handles a bit better, and you sit more upright (?).

So a friend of mine who recently got his licence is looking for a first bike. He likes the Nightrain, but there's not many of them for sale. He found a new StreetBob for a good price, but it's on the other side of the country. He tried my bike and loved it. So if he buys ( get it shipped over here ) the StreetBob, is that gonna be a huge difference? Is he gonna be dissapointed/impressed? He's looking for a cruiser, I highly doubt he's gonna be riding it very hard anyways...

Any pointers?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM
GeeRam
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
But I guess the Dyna handles a bit better, and you sit more upright (?).
I've just part ex'd my Dyna Superglide for a Softail Slim, and I can say the Slim handles MUCH, MUCH better than the Dyna.

IMHO, you need to spend some $$$ on Progressive suspension etc to make a Dyna handle....too soft and wobbly out of the box. Without the footboards etc., you can lean a Dyna over more, and with decent suspension it probably will then out-handle a Softail.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
I'm very happy with my Crossbones, and I really don't care that it handles like crap compared to "modern" bikes.

Oooo, that's not even remotely close to the truth.

Regarding Dyna vs. Softail for ridability and handling, good question. Before buying my crossbones, I seriously considered the Wide Glide because I previously owned a Fatboy and wanted something different from a different family. Obviously, I went with the Crossbones. Some people say the Dyna is quicker due to its lighter weight, but I've never ridden a Dyna, so I'm curious what the responses will be.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Some men like fat girls, some like redheads, some like physcos, some like dynas some like soft-tails....geezus it's not about what others like it's about what YOU like....LOL

Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM
hooligan13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my street bob, and for under a grand you can rake it and lower it if that's what you like

Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Time out!!!

Why do you say the Crossbones handles like crap?

I can throw my Springer around pretty good...

Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see there being enough of a difference in handling to overcome the styling edge the softails have over the dyna's. That's my view anyway.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I would suggest that you're buddy rents one if possible? Not sure if he would be able to over there or not. My last bike was a ridgid mount sporty, I was so used to getting my teeth rattled loose that I actually found the test ride I took on a Dyna a little off putting. It was just to smooth for my taste once I got up to speed it felt like I could barely feel the bike. Next I tried my Herritage and found the "B" engine to be a nice happy medium, pleasant vibes but not too much. Then again some hate the vibes from the "B" engine. Really it all boils down to personal taste and what works for your friend. Sometimes it is worht waiting for what you really want and not just buying the first thing available.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide_Open
I don't see there being enough of a difference in handling to overcome the styling edge the softails have over the dyna's. That's my view anyway.
That's my point exactly, you like your bike and should it's sweet. But the "styling edge over a dyna" is your opinion, what looks good to your eye may not be the next guys cup of tea. I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

The Street Bob is a sweet sled. Can't go wrong with it. I had an '06.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail vs. Dyna.