Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips? Installing harley saddle bag lid protective film

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Tips? Installing harley saddle bag lid protective film

Hello, just purchased a set of the Harley saddle bag protective film covers. Reading through the instructions it seems very tedious. It says to mix a solution of water and baby shampoo and a solution of water and rubbing alcohol. The soap solution for getting it in place and the alcohol solution for locking it in place. Just looking for some tips or shortcuts on the install. Thanks

Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have installed 4 of these kits, 1 for myself and 3 for my buddys. Read the instructions carefully and follow all the steps, any shortcuts will show up in the end result. When installed correctly most wont even notice its there, rushing the process or taking shortcuts and most WILL notice its there.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Buns79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some also but after reading the directions I had a flash back of me trying to put some window tint on one time so I decided to call a local auto tint shop and they put them on for 20 bucks... Money well spent!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
diegodocks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No help for you here, I can't even put protective film on my cell phone without screwin it up.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm gonna give it a shot this evening. I'll post how it turns out.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain

Best advice I can offer is, make sure your fingers are really clean, use the alcohol to clean them, dont attempt it out side in the wind or direct sun,use plenty of soap and water solution, have plenty of clean lint free towels on hand and dont use a credit card or similar to smooth out the film and work out the water underneath, use a rubber squeege ( the same type used to apply window tint film) and take your time. Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Well damn, I was planning on using a credit card since the only squeeze I have is one to put my cellphone film on. I'm gonna have to improvise.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Make sure your hands are very wet with the solution before touching the film or it will leave fingerprints.

Be sure to do the work in a well lit area. It wouldn’t hurt to have a helper double check for bubbles as you squeegee.

Watch a few YouTube vids to get an idea how it works.

I would recommend just installing the film to the tops of the lids, at least initially. The top of the lids is where most of the protection is needed and although it is hard to see it is not invisible. A week or two later you can decide if you want to install the other pieces of the film.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought 3m film , cut it to fit and just used the water and soap, squeeged and no alchol. Been on for two years now and no problems.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds like trying to put protective film on a 3 dimensional object which equates to a whole lot of expletives and colorful metaphors........thanks but no thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips? Installing harley saddle bag lid protective film