Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle Spark Plugs

Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle Spark Plugs

Stock spark plugs = $4 each.
SE spark plugs = $8 each.
Are they really twice as much better? Why would anyone buy the SE ones if they have a stock bike? I ask this because when I went to the dealership to buy new ones, the parts guy tried to sell me the SE type. I know his reason to push them--more $ for the company. When I asked why I should buy them instead of stock he said they "make a cleaner burn". I opted for the stock plugs that I have now.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

well done.

I would have asked him for documentation.

if that were true HD would offer these OEM to get the tailpipe emission levels down*.

this would allow them more leeway in the fuel injection mapping

while most areas do not test bikes for emissions ( we do), H-D has to certify emission compliance with the EPA, CARB and other regulatory bodies Domestic and Foreign.

with that in mind I say BS to your parts guy.

Mike

* the same rational applies to splitfire and other gee-gaws...if they really added power, MPG or reduced emissions, GM and Ford would love to advertise the extra power in their sales ads, or the decreased emissions, or the better CAFE rating.

much of the advertising done is vs worn out components swapped with new--- it was over a test like that where a bike mag claimed 15% more power with special plug wires that I dropped my subscription.

the "after" dyno run showed stock numbers...the before was about...15% lower than it should

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-13-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 PM
alysonowner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I change my plugs seasonally. Put between 12-15k a year on the bike. The stockers work just fine. Just pull them out at each service. As long as they're a nice tan color with no oil or burn marks you've got smooth combustion in the cylinders and the plug is doing its job just fine. otoh I run double platinum plugs in my truck but it works a lot harder than the bike and goes 60,000 between plug changes. It's similar to the dino vs synthetic debate. If you're changing them regularly it doesn't really matter.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

High performance and specialty plugs are another marketing ploy to confuse the average consumer. Like most advertising, they make wild claims which they don't have to back up and are hard to substantiate.
Save your money and stick with OEM sparkplugs. It is just a sparker.

"But wait, if you act right now, we will send you two magic ***** butt plugs instead of one-All you have to do is pay seperate shipping and handling". I can't help but to laugh when I see those TV ads.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

What they are saying is right, just use the stock ones and save your money.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW, When I took mine in for it's 10k service, I went to the parts counter to get new plugs to put in myself. They sold me the $4 plugs for my CVO. It's what the book called for. Go figure. As others have said as a result of my purchase, I'd stick with the stock plugs.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried them and it cured the decel popping, got better MPG by about 10 and started easier, it also help with the Bagger Wag and my tires last over 20k now.Seriously though I fell for it and bought them for may last bike which had a 95 inch motor and made nice power. I think it might have started easier but could not tell any difference in how it ran. Probably wasted the money. I also bought them for the bike I have now because they look cooler than the stock ones!

Last edited by bigheadted; 01-05-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: wanted to add real info not a smart alek reply.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Pastor Ed
Tourer

Here is what HD says: "Designed for modified engines including performance carburetors, high-flow air cleaners, cam shafts, exhaust systems and ignition systems in conjunction with stock compression ratios."

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
You might want to mention this to your parts person.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i buy autolites at auto zone or advance for $1.44 a piece and have no issues with how the bike performs. Why, you ask, the bike does not know what type of plug is installed, it just knows it fires.

my .02

Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 PM
IncognitoProducts
Banned

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
i buy autolites at auto zone or advance for $1.44 a piece and have no issues with how the bike performs. Why, you ask, the bike does not know what type of plug is installed, it just knows it fires.

my .02
Please take a look at this video...

Pulstar Pulse Plugs (Iridium) VS NGK Iridium Spark-Plug bench test... You Decide.

www.pulstar-incognitoproducts.com - Every Spark-plug on the market today is ONLY capable of discharging a maximum of 50 watts to ignite fuel. And Power Ignites Fuel! The Pulstar Pulse Plug has an internal capacitor, that captures the power normally wasted by Spark-plugs, using it to ignite the fuel charge. Both plugs ARE the same heat range, the Pulstar plug does NOT produce a hotter spark. It produces a larger spark with more surface area, creating a larger Flame Kernel that burns fuel sooner. Extracting more power from every fuel charge. A good example is...the Spark-plug is a flash light, and the pulse plug is the camera flash. Even though they both can use the same power supply, 2 AA batteries. The camera flash is many times brighter & larger even though it does not last very long. The same is true of the ignition source from the Pulse Plug...in your engine 1 Million watts only needs to last for 2 billionth of a second. Enough time to ignite fuel, but brief enough to NOT over heat vital engine components. The Pulstar Pulse Plug...will NOT harm your engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screamin' Eagle Spark Plugs