Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag bars for softails

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Widow_Maker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag bars for softails

If you have a softail with drag bars would you Please post pictures of your beast... Trying to get an idea of what my heritage might look like with drag bars as my back is killing me with my current standard handlebars and I'm not a apes bar guy.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 AM
bigmarc66
Advanced

im in same boat, stock fb low bars are brutal, thinking about street slammer bars or something close in rise/pullback, somebody posting up might note if stock cables are useable on street slammers, thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Here's some pics of my FXST with Wild1 Chubby 8" bars. These, along with Slammers which are 7" and the Carlini 6" all worked with my stock cables. I'm probably getting ready to swap the Wild1's out so if you're interested in them shoot me a PM.

This pic is of Carlini 6" bars. Don't mind the clutch cable in this pic. I had apes installed and didn't put the stock cable back on yet.

And last but not least, here are HD Slammers......same here long clutch cable shown.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont recall seeing a Heritage with drag bars, but I think most Night Trains came with them stock .. at least my dad's has drag bars on them and he says their stock, but he bought the bike second hand..anyways.. maybe something from one of the Train threads will inspire you

Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Stock bars on my Night Train. I have since changed them out to ones similar to the ones on SageBrush1976's bike.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Widow_Maker
If you have a softail with drag bars would you Please post pictures of your beast... Trying to get an idea of what my heritage might look like with drag bars as my back is killing me with my current standard handlebars and I'm not a apes bar guy.
I basically said the same thing. My bike originally had drag bars and they hurt my back and right shoulder. I switched to a set of Wild 1 drags with more pull back and it helped only slightly and still was far from what I wanted in comfort. After going through two sets of drag bars an unfortunate accident gave me an opportunity to try something else. I had never really liked apes and didn't think they would be as comfortable as others said. I took a shot and went with a set of 12" Carlini Flyin Apes. After much research and reading I figure a set of bars around shoulder height and with enough pull back to make sure I didn't have to stretch my arms would yeild maximum comfort. This size bar was fit the bill and indeed delivered the comfort. If I had known how comfortable I would have done it long before. There is just no comparison between these and the drag bars. After it was all said in done I think the bars look great and the comfort and rideability was increased substaintially.

Alot of factors can come into play and everyone is different in what they want and need. I am 5'6" and around 170 with a stocky build. Being vertically challenged meant what I needed in a set of bars is very different that a guy 6'2" with longs arms. Hope this helps!

Here's a couple pic's of my bike when it had drags and after with the apes.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Widow_Maker
Intermediate

Thanks Guys

Keep those Pics coming --

Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Here's mine

Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Widow_Maker
You know what Widow, now that I think about it, my FXST had Heritage bars on it when I got it and they wrecked havoc on my back also. I've heard so many people tout Heritage bars as the most comfortable stock bars but I disagree 100%. I think my biggest issue was the wrist angle. Here's what I started with:

Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 PM
billewo
1st Gear
Default Here is mine

My bike 2008 nightrain

Quick Reply: Drag bars for softails