Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM
kitcharoen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a 2013 FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide). Can anyone tell me which brand is better, in terms of "reverse gear" between Champion and MMD? I know so far that I have to buy a 6-speed, but don't know if it's a hydraulic or a cable clutch. I need suggestions, comments and please source yourself. Appreciate it guys.

*I need to buy this because I'm a shorty and that beast is too heavy to back up, if you guys understand

Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF.

If you try to back up while sitting on it I strongly recommend getting off and doing it from beside the bike. I have only ever been able to do it that way and it has got me by for the last 40-odd years!

As for reverse gears, take a look in the trikes section, as they are popular for that application and you may find some useful posts there. For a little entertainment go to 'search' above, select 'advanced search', enter 'reverse' and choose 'titles only'. You will get a number of previous threads to browse.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm about 5'6 and a 28" inseam. Although it's a bit difficult at times, I can back my Road Glide as much as I need. Lower shocks and some seat work helped lots.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitcharoen
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a 2013 FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide). Can anyone tell me which brand is better, in terms of "reverse gear" between Champion and MMD? I know so far that I have to buy a 6-speed, but don't know if it's a hydraulic or a cable clutch. I need suggestions, comments and please source yourself. Appreciate it guys.

*I need to buy this because I'm a shorty and that beast is too heavy to back up, if you guys understand
Welcome to the forum, and if I were to go the reverse route it would be none of the above.
It would be the Baker Drivetrain F6R
http://bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r-factory-6-speed-reverse

Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am 5'5" tall on an Ultra Limited. Had a 1200 Sportster before that. When I bought the bike, with Profile Lowers in the rear and a Reach seat, I could not budge it backward on a flat surface. After a week, I was moving it and over the next month I had it moving back on a slight reversed incline. It takes time to build the muscle and technique.

If after a few weeks, you still cannot move it backwards at all, I would park facing uphill or get off and back it from the side.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

The guy is asking opinions/suggestions/differences between the two brands of reverse gears and not about back-up techniques and frame set-ups.I don't understand why there are always people offering unwanted suggestions,do they do that just to increase their post count or what?
Anyway,back to the original question:I think both brands are very similar if not the same,they're both made in the USA and the only difference I noticed is the **** at the end of the lever (one is round the other oblong).Personally,even though not vertically challenged (short)but just plain lazy,I'm having the MMD installed next month.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 AM
kitcharoen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Luisan for being so straight forward. No offense, but this is the type of answers I need. I'm still open for some more answers though, keep 'em comin' . Thanks guys

Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by luisan
The guy is asking opinions/suggestions/differences between the two brands of reverse gears and not about back-up techniques and frame set-ups.I don't understand why there are always people offering unwanted suggestions,do they do that just to increase their post count or what?
That is very simple old chap, as there are many ways to skin a cat and some are a lot cheaper than others, even superior.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

You may want to check out ( AIM Corp Mamba Reverse ) it looks similar to Champion

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Verticaly challenged here ! ha ! wish i could aford reverse , that would be sweet !

Till then seat lowered and narrowed buy MeanCity and shortened shocks buy Bitch'n Baggers .
On rough or steep ground i stand next to the bike on left side with my right butt cheak leaning on the seat and walk it backwards . Takes a little practice but not to tuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?