Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Torque Location

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Smile Thunder Torque Location

I've waiting for my set of Thunder Torques to get here. In the meantime, I am wondering, is installing them one inch from the end of the muffler/pipes the only alternative? Can they be placed before the baffles, since this is where the exhaust gases have the greatest speed/output? Also, should they be placed side by side? it seems to me that since the top pipe/muffler is generally longer than the bottom, the TT's should be placed an even distance from the connection at the head, to make their location an equal distance. Perhaps some of you with more logical thinking than me can give me some answers. I am looking to quiet my mufflers/baffles as much as possible. Putting aside the logistics of attaching the TT's where the baffle meets the pipe, would there be some benefit?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 AM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure i have answers, but those are some great questions.
i have pondered the balance thing and did consider moving one insert in further but i do have a cross pipe.
i dont have baffles in mine but i was thinking about moving the inserts further in to the pipe for a little deeper sound.
looking forward to what other people have to say

Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Default Inserts

New research reveals that Kevin, who works for the company that makes the inserts, states that the inserts must be placed within 1 to 4 inches from the end of the pipe. He goes on and gives an explanation as to why they would not work anywhere else. Sounds good to me, he's the expert. Still.......?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Thunder Torque Inserts are best placed in the bolt hole that is used to secure the baffle near the end of the exhaust.

If there is no bolt hole, then anywhere from 1-4" from the tail end of the exhaust is best. (even 1/2" is ok)

TTI's were designed to increase power without muffling exhaust note. They do deepen the tone and lower the volume a small amount.

They work based on the relationship of the pulse wave of energy exiting the tail end of the exhaust, so the distance from the exhaust valve is not the important factor (as far as power generation).

It is quite possible that the sound may be deeper if they were moved forward, but it would be at a sacrifice of power if they were moved much more than 4" from where the exhaust gasses exit into the atmosphere.

You can read more technical info on the TTI's HERE

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Kevin, thanks for once again answering this question for us.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Default Thunder Torque Inserts-For Sale

Anyone interested in a pair of semi-used TTI's? (Q118's) I first installed them in a Screaming Eagle II muffler, with the baffles, and there was no difference whatsoever. I then tried them without the baffles. Still no difference. I then took off the Screaming Eagles and put on the HD stock mufflers with baffles. No difference whatsoever again. I tried all kinds of angles, to no avail. Since the baffles are welded in on the stock mufflers, I was unable to take them out. Sorry, but I can't pull any punches...the TTI's were useless....(this was on a 2006 Heritage Classic.) I was skeptical at first, but thought I might give them a try. I should have listened to my inner self which said, "if it sounds to good to be true........"

Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
Anyone interested in a pair of semi-used TTI's? (Q118's) I first installed them in a Screaming Eagle II muffler, with the baffles, and there was no difference whatsoever. I then tried them without the baffles. Still no difference. I then took off the Screaming Eagles and put on the HD stock mufflers with baffles. No difference whatsoever again. I tried all kinds of angles, to no avail. Since the baffles are welded in on the stock mufflers, I was unable to take them out. Sorry, but I can't pull any punches...the TTI's were useless....(this was on a 2006 Heritage Classic.) I was skeptical at first, but thought I might give them a try. I should have listened to my inner self which said, "if it sounds to good to be true........"
We have never tried 118's in a Twin Cam, they are too small to make a noticeable difference. Also, the "W" produce more power than the "Q".

The 158 Models will fit any slip-on muffler, drag pipe, or shorty that has an end opening of 2" or larger.

For 3.5" or larger ends the 258 Models are generally preferred.

You can call or email and Dawn or Natalie can make arrangements with you to switch what you have for the correct size.

662-420-4891
Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Default Going for Q158

Thanks Kevin, you're a prince of a man? I'll be making the arrangement to get the Q158's. Thanks for your response.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 AM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@cgmartine
what size are the mufflers you are installing them in?
my mufflers are 3" and without baffles i found the w258 to work and sound best

either way you will never find better customer service

Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Dipen Loomba
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, i was wondering how effective these TTIs would be if i removed the baffles from my stock pipes (883) and installed the TTIs?
Has anyone done that as suggested on the DK customs web page??
Can some one post a picture of the inserts??
thanks

Dipen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunder Torque Location