Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A/C and Drag pipes time for rejetting

Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New A/C and Drag pipes time for rejetting

I have had the drag pipes and am popping on a DK CUSTOMS HiFlow 587 AIR CLEANER K&N FILTER STAGE 1. I am a noob to messing with carbs but I am sure that I will need to rejet this thing. My question is what kind of jets , how many are in my carb and are the jets all i need to replace or should i be replacing other parts in the carb? Also what size jets for that setup? Thanks for the help

Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

Hopefully someone will chime in cause I would love to do this myself

Last edited by SouthernGent; 11-04-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like you should just start by getting a main jet the next size up from what is already in there so you get a little more gas. It's impossible for anyone to tell you without having the bike in front of them but most of the time that's all it takes. I had a Honda a couple years ago which didn't allow you to mess with jets so I bought a set of micro bits (almost like dental drills) and kept honing them out till it ran right. Keep checking your plugs for color. If they turn black and sooty, you've gone too far.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

I have already removed the stock air cleaner do I need to remove the carb to install new jet?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you get down on the ground and look up at the bottom of the carb, you'll see 4 philips type screws. Take those out, and remove that bottom cover, or bowl, and you can access the jets. You'll want to drain the gas out of it first so you don't spill on yourself, I just shut the fuel at the petcock and let the bike run until it quit. Jets go in and come out with a flat screwdriver, don't loctite the new jet in.

Some guys will tell that removing the bowl with the carb still on the bike is the wrong way to do it, and with a 2001, depending on how many miles you got, it might be a good idea to take it off and clean it up. Maybe replace those seals where the carb goes into the actual engine.

I did mine quick and easy with the carb on the bike, bought a 45 jet for $8 and replaced the stock 42 that was in there, and it's been fine. You'll also need to look up how to adjust your idle mix screw. When I did mine, everyone was telling me a good baseline for a 1200 was a 45 jet and 2.5 turns out on that mixture screw, so I tried that and never adjusted it since. It runs strong and the plugs look good. If it ain't broke...

Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
If you get down on the ground and look up at the bottom of the carb, you'll see 4 philips type screws. Take those out, and remove that bottom cover, or bowl, and you can access the jets. You'll want to drain the gas out of it first so you don't spill on yourself, I just shut the fuel at the petcock and let the bike run until it quit. Jets go in and come out with a flat screwdriver, don't loctite the new jet in.

Some guys will tell that removing the bowl with the carb still on the bike is the wrong way to do it, and with a 2001, depending on how many miles you got, it might be a good idea to take it off and clean it up. Maybe replace those seals where the carb goes into the actual engine.

I did mine quick and easy with the carb on the bike, bought a 45 jet for $8 and replaced the stock 42 that was in there, and it's been fine. You'll also need to look up how to adjust your idle mix screw. When I did mine, everyone was telling me a good baseline for a 1200 was a 45 jet and 2.5 turns out on that mixture screw, so I tried that and never adjusted it since. It runs strong and the plugs look good. If it ain't broke...
Sounds good to me I will take it off and clean it up and put some new gaskets on it while im in there, where is the best place to get the jets and gaskets? ebay?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer

Originally Posted by SouthernGent
I have had the drag pipes and am popping on a DK CUSTOMS HiFlow 587 AIR CLEANER K&N FILTER STAGE 1. I am a noob to messing with carbs but I am sure that I will need to rejet this thing. My question is what kind of jets , how many are in my carb and are the jets all i need to replace or should i be replacing other parts in the carb? Also what size jets for that setup? Thanks for the help
Here are several sites on the CV Carb for you to study btw you can do this.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

http://www.floheadworks.com/Articles...uning_tips.htm

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/...tor-images.htm

Last edited by Dual-Linkerts; 11-05-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernGent
Sounds good to me I will take it off and clean it up and put some new gaskets on it while im in there, where is the best place to get the jets and gaskets? ebay?
I'd ask those guys at DK customs, the might be able to get you gaskets and jet(s) and throw them in with the intake you ordered.

Otherwise, CV Performance has everything you would need: http://www.cv-performance.com/

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM
1forrest1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gent I just rebuilt my carb on my '03 883 with the CVP products and a gasket set from the stealership be sure to get the ez tune a/f screw plus a through cleaning. The bike accelerates and runs silkey smooth, and carb farts are a thing of the past

Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
SouthernGent
Tourer

I just Pm'd DK customs and asked about the jet kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New A/C and Drag pipes time for rejetting