General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 fxrsdg whats it worth?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
cozmo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 fxrsdg whats it worth?

Just got a 84 fxrsdg will it make a good bike? I know there are not many of them made but do people want them? It is very clean has 20k miles seems to be all original but wind sheild and bars with forward foot pegs whats it worth?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,518 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You mean fxrdg,(No s,) the solid rear wheel fxr?

They made less than a thousand units. How original is it?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Have no clue what's it worth .. But was one of the first EVO's and not that many made .. If was mine would just keep it for a bit in this economy ..

Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 PM
cozmo
3rd Gear

thanks finally got me a HD. it has the solid back wheel but it says fxrs on the forks.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
cozmo
3rd Gear

not ready to sell yet but do they make good bikes?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

20k miles is a bit too high for many collectors and age is a bit much for daily riders.
Probably not worth as much as some would think. Desire is building for them. I expect it will increase in value sometime in the future.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,518 Likes on 3,048 Posts

The FXR frame is outstanding, the best handling big twin ever. The first year EVO, ( my 83 FXRT was the last Shovel,) probably had the same weaknesses, the crappy early electronic ignition and the stock carb. I ran a Dyna S ignition and an E Series S&S carb on my bike all over the East Coast reliably. It's a good bike if maintained properly.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by cozmo
Just got a 84 fxrsdg will it make a good bike? I know there are not many of them made but do people want them? It is very clean has 20k miles seems to be all original but wind sheild and bars with forward foot pegs whats it worth?
Got a pic you can post? The dilema from you post...84FXRSDG

The FXDG was a limited edition Wide Glide (introduced in 1983) with a solid rear wheel, a set of black shorty duals and a belt drive final. They made 810 that year. This was a solid mount motor BTW.

The FXR series ran from 1982-1984 and included the FXR, FXRS, and FXRT. These were all rubber mount motors with changes to each to give them each their own FX subtitle. And in 1984 MoCo only made the FXRS and FXRT (no FXRSDG mentioned anywhere that I can find).

So if it is rubber mounted it is an FXR series bike. With that said I show no record of a solid rear wheel disc glide with rubber mount motor FX series. Best way to tell what your bike started life as is to decipher the vin #. And you can call HD customer service and they can tell you where the bike was sold from and when it was produced.

So....with all that said what is its worth? If you sell, it is worth what you will let it go for versus what someone is willing to pay for it. In today's market, probably $4500-6500 in very good condition. The market on shovels (and pans) reamins soft. Knucks and pre-war HDs still have manitained their pre-recession values. Folks either like or do not like the rubber mount bikes so the market is narrow which can affect value/worth.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 1,477 Posts

cozmo... a bit more information and a retraction on my part. Got to looking for additional info and pulled out Donny Petersons book on shovel (his 1st on shovels with a 2nd to follow). He has spent a lot, a real lot of time doing research on bikes and has publised works on evos as well and intends to do one on pans (yeah!)

At any rate he lists the 1984 FXRSDG Disc Glide. It is an evo-based motor (somehow I just kept thinking shovels and forgot to expand my mind into evo-era), rubber mount w/ 5 speed tranny. he states that approximate production number was 10.

So with that being said if you have one, then you indeed have a very rare bike and something that to the right collector would obviously have some decent value. Sounds like yours is almost all stock as well.

You should definitley contact MoCo to get as much history on the bike as you can. And when you get the chance post some pics please.

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 84 fxrsdg whats it worth?