Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

formula plus

Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default formula plus

anyone know what the weight of harley's formula plus primary/trans fluid? is it 75/90? or less...

Old 12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: formula plus

Well...........since they don't put a spec like the weight of the oil on the container I don't know........I have heard it's about a 50w oil. But it's not a 75w90. Go to autozone and get some Mobil1 synthetic 75w90 and put that in your trans.......your gears will thank you.

BTW...I don't buy anything that doesn't tell me what it is on the label........oil, beer, soda, ammunition, medicine, food, clothing etc.

The following users liked this post:
DarthJohn (01-29-2024)
Old 12-16-2006, 10:06 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I would only use Primary + for the primary.Use Redline,Mobil or Amsoil for the tranny.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:27 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure the above is such good advice. The new 6 speed is a completly differant trans than the old five speed. There's more to it than just an extra gear: dog rings, differant shifter, helical gears, needle bearings, etc. Just like a T5 is completly differant than a toploader. I wouldn't put 75W90 gear oil in a T5.

I'm not really sure that Formula+ is the best thing available, because I'm not really sure what it is. Nobody seems to know for sure. When I find out what it is, they maybe picking an alternative choice will be a good idea. Until then, I'll keep using it.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:44 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobcowan
Just like a T5 is completly differant than a toploader. I wouldn't put 75W90 gear oil in a T5.

I've been using 75w90 gear lube in my T5(85 CJ7)for 10 years.No problems.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Just like a T5 is completly differant than a toploader. I wouldn't put 75W90 gear oil in a T5.

I've been using 75w90 gear lube in my T5(85 CJ7)for 10 years.No problems.
Exactly.......my dealer puts 75w90 or 85w140 belray in many older bikes.......5speed 6speed doesn't matter. They swear by the stuff. The synthetic versions are just simply better long lasting lubricants than their dino predecessors. Any of the GL-5 gear lubes will do great in a Harley gearbox.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:57 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI
Exactly.......my dealer puts 75w90 or 85w140 belray in many older bikes.......5speed 6speed doesn't matter. They swear by the stuff. The synthetic versions are just simply better long lasting lubricants than their dino predecessors. Any of the GL-5 gear lubes will do great in a Harley gearbox.
That's because the older 5 speeds and 6 speeds are pretty much the same animal, just an extra gear. Gear oil works well in both. But the new 6 speed is differant.

Look at car transmissions. Compare the toploader to a Richmond 5 speed. Pretty much the same animal, just an extra gear. Standard gear oil works well for both. But compare the T5 to a Richmond 5 or toploader. Not even close. Completely differant. Read the service manual. If you want a smooth shifting T5 or Tremec for the next 10 years, you use a very light synthetic auto trans lube. My Tremec TKO calls for GM Synchromesh fluid.

And what is Formula+ exactly? Does anybody know? If you don't know what it is, how can you make an intelligent decision about a replacement? If you don't ride much, then it really doesn't matter. You could probably use baby oil, and it would last long enough for you. But if you ride a lot of miles in a lot of conditions, and plan to keep the bike for a long time, you need to make smart choices on things like this. "What we always used" is not always the right answer.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Well I am using Redline Shockproof Heavy and my trans shifts better than formula +, runs quieter than formula+ and I can find neutral easier. I am not alone here. Many of the people on this forum have had great results with synthetic gear oil versus the HD lubricants. I had considered using the lighterweight Shockproof Gear lubes from Redline but they recommend against it. I don't have to know what formula plus is to know I like the results of a heavier gear oil in the trans. So how many synchros are in a new HD 6 speed?

Here is the quote from Redline's website about Shockproof Heavy:

Heavy ShockProofâ„¢

A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.

Recommended for Big-Twin transmissions (Twin Cam, '84-up EVO, Knucklehead, Shovelhead, Panhead). Big-Twin primary chaincase should use our MTL product.

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI
That's because the older 5 speeds and 6 speeds are pretty much the same animal, just an extra gear. Gear oil works well in both. But the new 6 speed is differant.

Look at car transmissions. Compare the toploader to a Richmond 5 speed. Pretty much the same animal, just an extra gear. Standard gear oil works well for both. But compare the T5 to a Richmond 5 or toploader. Not even close. Completely differant. Read the service manual. If you want a smooth shifting T5 or Tremec for the next 10 years, you use a very light synthetic auto trans lube. My Tremec TKO calls for GM Synchromesh fluid.

And what is Formula+ exactly? Does anybody know? If you don't know what it is, how can you make an intelligent decision about a replacement? If you don't ride much, then it really doesn't matter. You could probably use baby oil, and it would last long enough for you. But if you ride a lot of miles in a lot of conditions, and plan to keep the bike for a long time, you need to make smart choices on things like this. "What we always used" is not always the right answer.