General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The broken wings patch?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The broken wings patch?

Is there a right or wrong place to wear a broken wings patch? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer. Thanks in advance....

nogood o~`o

Top Answer

03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,803 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Did I miss something? Is there now a divorce patch to go with the broken wings patch?

always thought the broken wing patch was for someone who broke a bone in a motorcycle crash. I actually carry a couple extra with me so if I run into a biker and we get telling stories, and I find out, they broke a bone, I hand them one.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:05 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: The broken wings patch?

Here's a recent thread.....

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1020370/tm.htm

The following users liked this post:
sledhead_2002 (03-08-2024)
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real placement criteria I found is that it should not be worn above an American flag patch. Then again, NOTHING should be worn above the flag patch. I think that it should be ok most anywhere else......

nogood o~`o

Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 PM
JAMES2
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

The only criteria for broken wings is you have laid your bike down in an accident, if you earned them you can wear'em were ever you want. Most guys put them at the bottom of their leathers. ( dropp'n your bike in the parking lot doesn't count!
ORIGINAL: wnogood

The only real placement criteria I found is that it should not be worn above an American flag patch. Then again, NOTHING should be worn above the flag patch. I think that it should be ok most anywhere else......

nogood o~`o

The following users liked this post:
Jehu (03-07-2024)
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I clobbered the rear end of a buick about 20 years ago. I wear mine
up high on the back of the vest.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1984. Rear ended a car that panic stopped on the highway. Broke my left femer in three places in the femeral neck. Anyway, I recovered and still have the same shovelhead. I wear mine on the back of my leather jacket down close to the bottom.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't heard of the patch before so how does it work? One patch for each incident or is it one patch with bars or something?
Reason I ask is the wife is getting me a new vest for patches I have collected, and I "crashed" my first bike, a CB175 Honda, three times.
Once when a cop forced me into some sand and when I tapped the brake the bike went one way and I went another, at 75MPH.
Second time I laid the bike down in a turn on some oil and wound up under a Camaro. Thankfully he saw me going down and paniced, stopped and I just slid under a stopped car.
Third time I was going over to see an old GF and as I slowed for a turn to her block I tapped the front brake on some black ice. The bike went out from under me so fast I was actually surprised to find myself sitting on the ground watching the bike slide away.
Damn drum brakes on the front wheel of that Honda were out to kill me. They locked up WAY too easy.

So does that mean I qualify one, three or none because I did it to and by myself?

BTW the bike needed repairs after all three times.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 AM
d42s
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you qualify......I crashed 3 times myself..all on metric bikes all on wet or icy roads...I wear my road rash broken wings on bottom back of my vest...proudly...

Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: d42s
I think you qualify......I crashed 3 times myself..all on metric bikes all on wet or icy roads...I wear my road rash broken wings on bottom back of my vest...proudly...
Thanks, I think.
I almost crashed my nice new 07 Custom about two weeks ago on the way home from the dealer. I went there to have the remap done and was hoping that I could get home before it started raining, But instead of raining on me and just getting wet, and the bike all dirty. It started to rain with ice crystals mixed in it that made visibility really bad and iced the roadways up. I was slowing, very carefully coming to a light where I was going to make a right turn but ended up sliding straight across the intersection in front of a line of cars that had a green turn signal. That big fat tire in the rear is really nice to look at, but it can hydroplane and slide on wet ice crystals real easy if your not careful.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: d42s
Thanks, I think.
I almost crashed my nice new 07 Custom about two weeks ago on the way home from the dealer. I went there to have the remap done and was hoping that I could get home before it started raining, But instead of raining on me and just getting wet, and the bike all dirty. It started to rain with ice crystals mixed in it that made visibility really bad and iced the roadways up. I was slowing, very carefully coming to a light where I was going to make a right turn but ended up sliding straight across the intersection in front of a line of cars that had a green turn signal. That big fat tire in the rear is really nice to look at, but it can hydroplane and slide on wet ice crystals real easy if your not careful.
ICE=PARK IT!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The broken wings patch?