Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

2-1 exhaust

Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
TATER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-1 exhaust

Hey guys! First post about my first Harley. 77 Lowrider

My research has shown that Lowriders came w/ a 2-1 exhaust. I also read somewhere that a 2-1 exhaust net better low-end power/torque.

The question..........is a 2-1 exhaust still available? I havent seen any on Ebay(stock pipes) and dont recall any in the catalogs.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: 2-1 exhaust

You'd be lucky to find some originals, and they were pretty poor performers, anyway. Thunderheaders are available for your bike, though. Check with a shop or one of the online joints and tell 'em you want 'em for a '70 - '84 FXE Shovelhead w/o floorboards.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:00 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TATER

“TATER”
“Hey guys! First post about my first .Harley 77 Lowrider”
And it’s a good one too !

“My research has shown that Lowriders came w/ a 2-1 Exhaust, I also read somewhere that a 2-1 exhaust net better low-end power/torque. “
True I believe some Low Riders did come in with 2 into 1, I often heard that 2 into 1 exhaust was really good in performance, I just didn’t like them, which is only my opinion.

“The question..........is a 2-1 exhaust still available? I havent seen any on Ebay(stock pipes) and dont recall any in the catalogs.”

Yes they are, if fact I was just looking today for exhaust for my ‘81 low rider FXS since I am buying a new complete S&S 93 cu in motor, it’s time to give up my set of pipes 2.5” from an 1” below the bolt in to the heads, down to the slash cut end, twin pipes in each one, never had to have “heat shields” the brand is FUBAR, nice name huh ? : - ) I had them re-chromed twice since I had them in, in ‘81 back to what I found out, I know that S&S recommends AR 100 exhaust for there Shovelheads (for performance) but we are talking big bucks, ready $350 a set, I will give you links to them and a few links to Custom Chrome (I was never a big CC fan) but they do carry a lot of pipes for shovels of different brands.

Khrome Works: Once there click on to “High Performance Exhaust systems”
They also sell AR 2 but it’s a track set up “read very loud” you can get baffles to tame them up from KW’s, and they are cheaper $185 than AR 100 $350
http://www.khromewerks.com/

For 2 into 1 like I said try CC (you can also download their catalog) I would DL the part 7 “exhaust” only, almost 6 mB, but it will give you all the tubes. Link below: last one:

With this link right below make sure you go through all the pages (of CC) one by one because not every pipe set is in order, so Shovelheads at not on the end of each maker some in the middle !

First the start of the shovelhead exhaust: use the “Next” icon page symbol to go through them one at a time !
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0577.html

You can wait and go through a page at a time or right below takes you to the 2 into 1 set

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0579.html

For the Exhaust CC catalog download, below is the link:

http://www.customchrome.com/dcm/cc/view.asp?catpdf.html

Looks like at least $200 per set of pipes (some are cheaper), good luck, lets us know how you made out !

cj

Old 12-22-2006, 11:46 PM
TATER
6th Gear

[align=left]
cj-slowdown , Thanks for the links. I now remember the CC pipes. I wonder if the 2" headpipe is a little big for a 74" motor. It also has a large collector.

pococj,, the Thunder header seems to have 1.75"headpipes and a smaller collector. This might be the right size for low-end grunt.

[/align]

Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

The 1-3/4 is better for any engine, except maybe an all-out drag bike. With a 2" ID the exhaust gas velocity is too slow, and reversion is more likely unless other things have been done to prevent it.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:51 AM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser

here's my shovel with a thunderheader, performs better than with the drag pipes

[IMG]local://upfiles/1983/B27C099E770747ADB59F8D9E40AF7275.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-23-2006, 12:35 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

[align=left]
cj-slowdown , Thanks for the links. I now remember the CC pipes. I wonder if the 2" headpipe is a little big for a 74" motor. It also has a large collector.

pococj,, the Thunder header seems to have 1.75"headpipes and a smaller collector. This might be the right size for low-end grunt.

“TATER”
“cj-slowdown , Thanks for the links. I now remember the CC pipes. I wonder if the 2" headpipe is a little big for a 74" motor. It also has a large collector.”

As long as the pipe running through the collector is 1.75 it shouldn’t matter, Since the beginning of time (shovel time : ) 18 year run, it is well known that 1.75 Dia (and with a little back pressure) ran better than larger Dia pipes for the shovel, I hope you really didn’t think that my pipes FUBAR ( I really like that name ) are 2.5 Dia OPEN all the way !!! because they are 1.75 (inside) I made a mistake there are not double wall there triple wall (I do that a lot in e-mail: ) I believe that they went for approx $230 in ’81 that is a lot of money back then, when one could have pick up a set of pipes between $50 to 125 ! I wouldn’t think of spending that much money if I didn’t get a DEAL on them, the M/C shop I got them at gave them to me because of the 2 into 1, I got from them, in less than 2 weeks a band approx 6” width around the collector started to show, so the owner said defect lets send them back, when I saw the FUBAR’s in the catalog, then the price ! he told me he would give them to me for cost, but if I ever told anybody what I paid for them he would take them off : - ) deal ! this is why they have been re-chromed twice not counting the original dip, they were well ahead of there time, never turning blue (except that 1” part at the head) I think I would keep them, if they had the name imprinted on them “FUBAR” a term from WWII arm forces meaning “FU*KED UP BEYOND ALL RECOGNITION” but who the hell, what maker of pipes would imprint their name on their exhaust back then ? wow have times change !

In fact I am leaving now to go up to that same MC shop to go over final details for that S&S 93 Shovel, and of course there are always "other things" to get, I know it woun't be as simple as just dropping in an engine : - ) Comp, drive chain, etc. etc. or $$$$$$

What ever you do, don’t run straight ! : - )

cj

[/align]

Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 AM
TATER
6th Gear

I found some 2-1 exhaust in the Drag Specialty cat. They are Supertrap. Seem to be a little better than the cheaper set from CC. Altho the Thunders are enticing, near $600 a set is too rich for my blood.

Thanks for the replies guys.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-24-2006, 02:06 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

[align=left][/align]
TATER"

"I found some 2-1 exhaust in the Drag Specialty cat. They are Supertrap. Seem to be a little better than the cheaper set from CC. Altho the Thunders are enticing, near $600 a set is too rich for my blood. "
Yeah, Dyno power haven’t heard too much about them, too bad they don’t have a set from Santee most are still American made and 2 yr warr. But I am glad you found a set, and we might see a bit more of a selection, seem like there is a fresh look at shovels, seems more of them are showing up in custom bikes, some kind of old school look, I guess there are some who might have had it with twin cams, on board computers (then add other one) F.I. O2 sensors, mapping etc. In fact those are some of the reason I didn’t buy new this year : - )
Take care,
cj

Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

I found some 2-1 exhaust in the Drag Specialty cat. They are Supertrap. Seem to be a little better than the cheaper set from CC. Altho the Thunders are enticing, near $600 a set is too rich for my blood.

Thanks for the replies guys.
[align=left] [/align]
Did ya happen to see these.....

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/product~pf_id~3164181~section_dept_id~1165172~terr ain_dept_id~1166885~cat_dept_id~1166977~product_de pt_id~1167039~mfr_name~Cycle+Shack~selection_Path~ 4.asp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2-1 exhaust