General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?

Working on this Summer's June ride with the guys, and we are considering both the Rocky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains. We have ridden the Rockies and love them, but feel we have not even scratched the surface. On the other hand the Dragon and the Blue Ridge look fantastic also. Either destination is about the same distance from the Twin Cities.

So those of you who have ridden both, which do you prefer and why? (keep in mind we don't really care about bars and attractions etc...its all about the riding)

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ridden both. Rockies hands down.Gimme' altitude,and 14,000 foot peaks all around,anyday. Hell,the Blue Ridge "Mountains" aren't even as high as the Plains in Colorado. Try Hwy 9 outa' Steamboat,thru North Park,south to Hwy 40.South on 40 to Hwy 24,then catch 285 thru Middle Park,and then south thru the San Luis Valley down to Pagosa Springs and ride the San Juans. Hard to get below 9,000 feet the whole trip.Have a ball.

Last edited by Twistnride; 01-30-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Smokies are a great place to ride but don't compair them to the Rockies.I've seen both,and although I ride in the Smokies a couple times a year,it's because they are a few hours away.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well even tho I am going to say the Rockies why not do the Blue Ridge Mountains this year and then you will know which area you like best.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
Well even tho I am going to say the Rockies why not do the Blue Ridge Mountains this year and then you will know which area you like best.
Okay fair Glide2meetu, but precious time we want to spend on maximum fun.

We also don't care much for crowds.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

The Smokies are one of Americas treasures and who wouldn't like to reach in a grab a handful of the jewels that they have to offer ... I won't get into a debate as to which is better, however if you haven't ridden in the area I can assure you that you won't be disappointed ... I've ridden in 46 of the 50 states and have come across some of the greatest rides in the Smokies ... Check out http://americaridesmaps.com/ and if you decide on the trip I would suggest a copy of "12 Classic Deals Gap Motorcycle Rides" . You can stay in the Cherokee area ( as a hub ) and take a different route everyday and never cross the same road twice. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions ... Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've never done either on a bike but thinking of them, I'd rather go to the Rockies, since I've been there in a bus.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From my front porch I can see Dicky Ridge which is the first peak at the start of Skyline Drive. But having toured both I will try to be honest. The Rockies have the scenic views to beat all. They have elevation changes and cooler weather to beat all as well. They also have a higher speed limit but there is a reason for that.

What the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and the Smokey Mountains have to offer is less traffic. (Smokey's excepted) Starting in Front Royal you have a 574 mile run to Cherokee. That's 574 miles of no trucks, stop signs or traffic lights. There will be some construction traffic near Linville. Check with NPS. They also have way more turns. The roads in the Blue Ridge area are very technical and require a higher skill level.

Having said that, I know that there are 22 paved passes over 10,000 in Colorado. I have been over about half. I want to get out there this year to do all 22 in one trip.

Bottom line; Scenery Rockies, pure riding Blue Ridge.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

..... big vistas, high mountain passes & summits, buffalo alongside the road
i've never ridden the Smokies, so i won't compare, but the Rocky Mtns, from Montana to N.Mexico are tough to beat

Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Simply put, there is no comparison. You dont say where in the Rockies but it really doesnt make any difference. Rockies are mountains, the Blue Ridge are hills.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?