Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri glide proportioning valve questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Tackman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tri glide proportioning valve questions

I'm brand new to the forum. I have spina bifida and have no use of my legs so need special shifting and braking adapting equipment. I've been riding for 15 years, first bike was a 94 sportster with torbleau trike kit out of wisconsin. he used a tee to run the back brakes through front master cylinder but left the front brake out all together. I'm now waiting for a 2013 tri glide to come in. Been talking to the local harley dealer about putting a proportioning valve on it to run both brakes by hand. They are afraid to tackle it because they are worried that the master cylinder won't be big enough to handle both front and back. They would rather use something called a k-lever2. Was hoping someone on here has already used the valve system on a tri glide and could pass on any helpful info.

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackman
I'm brand new to the forum. I have spina bifida and have no use of my legs so need special shifting and braking adapting equipment. I've been riding for 15 years, first bike was a 94 sportster with torbleau trike kit out of wisconsin. he used a tee to run the back brakes through front master cylinder but left the front brake out all together. I'm now waiting for a 2013 tri glide to come in. Been talking to the local harley dealer about putting a proportioning valve on it to run both brakes by hand. They are afraid to tackle it because they are worried that the master cylinder won't be big enough to handle both front and back. They would rather use something called a k-lever2. Was hoping someone on here has already used the valve system on a tri glide and could pass on any helpful info.

Thank you in advance.
Why can't they install the ABS system like the 2wheeler has ?? Just a thought.... Check other dealers also.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm leaning towards your dealers side, I'm not sure the front master cylinder is large enough.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

http://www.socaltrikecenter.com/Articles.asp?ID=145

INTRODUCING THE MODULAR K-LEVER 2 FOR THE DISABLED RIDER
Shown here is the New K-LEVER2 system for Handicap Riders, it can be configured several different ways. For the Right or Left Side. It can be a Double Brake or combination Clutch and Brake, Cable and/or Hydraulic too.
A DISABILITY DOESN'T HAVE TO MEAN THE END OF YOUR RIDE!
So Cal Trike Center offers a complete kit for you.
1-800-649-4749

This exciting new innovation, K-LEVER 2 from the manufacturers of the Kliktronic Electric Shifter is the perfect solution for motorcycle riders who are unable to use their right foot for the rear brake.
The modular design allows independent operation of both front and rear brakes using just one hand.
It can be configured for clutch and brake operation, hydraulic and/or cable, even Right and/or Left side for total versatility. Available in natural or black finish.
Fluid Reservoirs, Hoses, Fittings, & Residual Valve, (if needed), must be purchased separately.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also agree with your dealer. The front master cylinder wont have enough pressure to handle 4 calipers. The piston is not big enough. Plus for your safety you should never tie your front and rear system together on the same hydraulic system for the brakes.

The K2 brake lever >>> http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

Install instructions for a Harley >> http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.c...HDTRIGLIDE.pdf

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I also agree with your dealer. The front master cylinder wont have enough pressure to handle 4 calipers. The piston is not big enough. Plus for your safety you should never tie your front and rear system together on the same hydraulic system for the brakes.

The K2 brake lever >>> http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

Install instructions for a Harley >> http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.c...HDTRIGLIDE.pdf
Thats a sweet looking setup, its amazing how many great things are being produced to help people with disabilities.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
STG246
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish I had ideas for your brakes, but welcome to the forum!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Thats a sweet looking setup, its amazing how many great things are being produced to help people with disabilities.
Yesi it is. I had considered this as a option to eliminate the rear brake pedal when I built my right foot shifter linkage. But I was able to make it all work and just learned that I have to provide myself more stopping distance when riding in traffic for the quick stops

Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked to the owner of our local dealer. He said they probably wouldn't do a job like that because: 1. there isn't any specs on the capacity of the front master cylinder and 2. LIABILITY. They have installed the duel lever set-up and electronic shifting for amputees.

Good Luck, happy riding and welcome to the forum

Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Tackman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the feedback. will probably bit the bullet and spend the extra $1500.00 on the K lever2. Hopefully they have all the begs worked out and it's a smooth installation.

Thanks again. Ted.