Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does going from a 96ci to 103 make a big Difference?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 AM
comradesmcrogue@yahoo.com
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does going from a 96ci to 103 make a big Difference?

Hi there, new member and I've got a question.
I have an 07 night train and have had the heads ported & polished, added an R&R crank (my stock one had too much runout) with 570 gear drive cams and a Fuel Moto power commander 3 (great customer service). The bike pulls hard and the difference from stock is amazing. Was told that if I bumped it up to 103-107 I'd see another huge difference.
Is it going to be that much different from what I have done so far?
I havent had it dyno'd yet but plan to in the spring

Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Put FM's 107 kit in with head work "B" and it'll be SCARY fast. Better than the difference between stock and cams. Increased displacement is the single best mod you can do to make it pull hard and fast. The MoCo, however, does everything they can to disprove that theory in their stock bikes. Difference between 96 and 103 is HUGE if tuned correctly and the if the bike can breath. Difference between 96 and 103 stock, not so much.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Shane, greatly appreciated. I'll go onto Fuel Moto's site to have another look.
I see you use shotgun shocks. Mine just came in last week. I'm waiting for spring to put em on. Cold as hell in Ontario at the moment.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comradesmcrogue@yahoo.com
Was told that if I bumped it up to 103-107 I'd see another huge difference.
Is it going to be that much different from what I have done so far?
I havent had it dyno'd yet but plan to in the spring
Remember, there's no replacement for displacement. So yeah, you'll see big difference if going from a 96" to either 103" or 107".

Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
6th Gear

Yeah, going to order the 107kit from Fuel Moto. Looks like it'll be pretty easy to install too. What's another 1200 or so bucks to add to the money pit. The old lady will be sooo happy..............Not.
I just can't leave anything alone. Thanks for the great feedback guys!! It's appreciated.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

and being the old grumpy boring man here, I say when you do that, please, do yourself a favor, put dual front disk brakes and big calibers.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comradesmcrogue@yahoo.com
Yeah, going to order the 107kit from Fuel Moto. Looks like it'll be pretty easy to install too. What's another 1200 or so bucks to add to the money pit. The old lady will be sooo happy..............Not.
I just can't leave anything alone. Thanks for the great feedback guys!! It's appreciated.

Might as well do the Level B heads, too. I just did the entire package, 107", TW555's, Level B heads.. did all the work myself. May sound like a joke, but rebuilding my engine was probably one of the easiest mods I've ever done. If you can turn a wrench, you can rebuild an engine.

The only special tools I needed was a ball-ended allen wrench to remove the throttle body (the angle for access is a bit awkward), and either a piston-ring compressor, or some wooden sticks to compress them in. If you can get your hands on the cam bearing removal/insertion tool, it makes the job a ton easier..else PepBoys or Autozone rents tools for free, and all you need is a 5lb slide hammer with a point-blank bearing attachment, and an old cam with a wooden hammer to get the new cam bearings in.

I sent my heads out before christmas, so naturally they were backed up on the return, it took like 3 1/2 weeks, but since it's snowing here in NJ, i didn't really care. Total time from start to finish was probably about 8-10 hours of labor.

The biggest pain in the *** of the entire project was either adjusting the pushrods, or having to stare at my bike while waiting to get my heads back, or having to stare at my bike because ITS DAMN SNOWING IN NJ.

good luck.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Sgt_Jim, Any tricks you'd care to pass on as far as the intake manifold is concerned? Will be doing a 98" kit in the near future and that looks to be the most awkward space to work in. I have ball end Allens. Did you use ball end Allen sockets, or just the L-wrench.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Brawny MMC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out my difference from 96 to 107 in my sig.you will love it im sure and when you get bored with that mod then get more haha..i think its never ending the quest for performance with our rides.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I really enjoy the 103 on my Heritage. Along with the other stuff mentioned in my sig, it makes for a very nice package with exactly the amount of horsepower and torque I need . . . plus 1!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does going from a 96ci to 103 make a big Difference?