Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Street Glide 21" wheel install??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
roadking48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Street Glide 21" wheel install??

Wanna put a 21"x 3.5" wheel and tire combo on front of my Street Glide. Non abs. What for problems am I gonna run into? Stock fender gonna work? Getting matching rotors also. Just want a heads up what I'm gonna get into with this change? Tire make is up in the air, what should I get as far as brand name? Still got stock Dunlap on back. Thanks for any input. Mark

Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems. You may want to lower the front about an inch to compensate. I would dremel out the holes slightly on the fender so you could move it up slightly and keep from rubbing. When you install the wheel it would be a good time to swap out lowers and go with a flush mount axle if that what you would want to do. Take a few runs around the block to get used to handling

Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
No problems. You may want to lower the front about an inch to compensate. I would dremel out the holes slightly on the fender so you could move it up slightly and keep from rubbing. When you install the wheel it would be a good time to swap out lowers and go with a flush mount axle if that what you would want to do. Take a few runs around the block to get used to handling
PistonPuller hit it on the head. Pick your wheel and rotors and tire and bolt it on. We pride ourselves on bolt on application.

We always recommend raising the fender a tad bit as you need 5/16" of space all the way around. The tire grows in height at speed and has on some peoples bikes rubbed causing the paint to burn on top of the fender. Any competent wheel retailer will know what you need to know. Sometimes buying on ebay works out great, sometimes it can be a real hassle.

I have bought wheels on ebay that were "supposed" to be for my year bike and were not. There are plenty of people that do not know the difference between wheels for an 84-99 and a 2000 or newer.

There mare many variables depending on what year and model your bike are.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM
roadking48
Cruiser

Had chrome lowers install at purchase. All stock except chrome lowers.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 AM
RAD Dog 23
Cruiser

I had FBI install a 21" RC Concepts wheel with Avon tires on my front with the stock fenders with no problems. I love this set up.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 AM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing mine today did lower the front end since i had it all tore apart to paint the inner fairing don't see any problems coming up but with my luck i will have some

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD Dog 23
I had FBI install a 21" RC Concepts wheel with Avon tires on my front with the stock fenders with no problems. I love this set up.
It is a recommendation to raise the rear fender a bit. We have had customers who had issues with the tire rubbing the inside of the fender. that is the only reason we recommend it. the wheel will fit under the stock fender fine without rubbing but remember that it grows in height. There is not much rhyme or reason as to what tire rubs on what bagger when, but alwyas recommended. On a softail (Deluxe, Heritage) it has bnever been an issue. I run a 21" on my fatboy with a Heritage fender, did nothing to it but bolt it on and it is fine. It is a bagger thing.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

When I originally put my wheel on, the fender wasn't ready. Me being impatient I put the stocker back on but did not adjust it. A week later I took it off to replace the fender and you could see rub marks on the inside. You could not hear it or feel it while riding, but it was obvious by the marks it was rubbing.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt have to adjust the fender with a 21, its been on for 4 months or so, Ive taken it off 2 times to check for rubbing, clean so far. I lowered the front a little. Lots of choices on the rims and tires, I can say that Hogpro is on the baords allot and very knowledgeable with info. Im sure they can hook you up.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

stock fender and rotors will work. You may need to drill the rear holes to correct angle of the fender.

Here is a 21", stock fender, stock rotors and stock height on my buddy's RK

Name:  DSC00019.jpg
Views: 3123
Size:  126.0 KB

Quick Reply: 2012 Street Glide 21" wheel install??