EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Electronic Ignition for Evo Engine

Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Rocket-Bob
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Ignition for Evo Engine

I got so much help on choosing a petcock that now I'm asking for help on Electronic Ignition. I have an '85 evo engine that I'm currently rebuilding. I bought the Crane Hi-4 for electronic ignition but when I went into my local shop they all looked at me like I'd sprouted another head. According to the local grey beards, Crane is now producing crap and these ignition modules are failing pretty much out of the box. I'm reconsidering my purchase. Please share your experiences with replacing your points with an electronic module.

Just one thing, I need a module that will allow for my kick start.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket-Bob
I got so much help on choosing a petcock that now I'm asking for help on Electronic Ignition. I have an '85 evo engine that I'm currently rebuilding. I bought the Crane Hi-4 for electronic ignition but when I went into my local shop they all looked at me like I'd sprouted another head. According to the local grey beards, Crane is now producing crap and these ignition modules are failing pretty much out of the box. I'm reconsidering my purchase. Please share your experiences with replacing your points with an electronic module.

Just one thing, I need a module that will allow for my kick start.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The Ultima is decent and inexpensive, the Daytona Twin-Tec allows for programming in your own advance curves if your engine requires that.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ONLY Crane unit I'm familiar with failing is the Crane Model that the entire unit is mounted behind the timing cover (not the HI4E). And that was years ago when there were heat issues with that model.

I have used the Crane HI4E for 3 years and have been extremely surprised and pleased at the performance boost it gave me.

You will need an adapter wiring kit .... Here's my write up about my install. Also the long, original trouble shooting thread has a link from there too.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

The 85 EVO never had points ignition to start with. Late Shovels had electronic ignition modules.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

The Daytona on Bertha performs flawlessly.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
113fatboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984_FXRT
The Ultima is decent and inexpensive, the Daytona Twin-Tec allows for programming in your own advance curves if your engine requires that.
As far as the ultima it is made by dyna It is a 2000i and has pretty good advance curves you can set on the unit itself W/WO voes And it all fits in the nose cone One of the plus's is that you can also program it with the software kit if you or your tuner are into that My guy already has the kit so no need for me to get it As far as price the module & software kit well under 300.00 (ebay is your friend LOL) I would avoid crane myself Never had good luck The three times I tried The first was on a new build with 1200 miles on it and it went out in Sturgis After finding someone that could work on it right away They showed me how many they changed out so far for the week It was a 5 gallon bucket almost filled They weren't all crane But it did show me that heat is a bad thing for ignitions

For the record I now do 90% of my own work I call it D.I.R.D.I.Y.Do It Right Do It Yourself
And now that I think about it I'm guessing that bucket represented well over 5 grand in profits for that guy WOW!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daytona Twin Tec here with no problems. Works with single or dual fire, works with or without voes, will work with your kick start, adjustable rev limiter, you can set the advance curve too. Pretty solid versatile setup

My indy recommended buying the "external" module that mounts on the frame neck or under the seat, not the one that is combined with the ignition pickup in the nose cone. He says the heat in that nose cone is not a suitable environment for the ignition module and it will eventually toast it. I heeded his advice and have been trouble free so far.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/products_carb.html

Edit: hmm, according to the website the "external" module is for 1990 and later and only the nose cone module will work for your 85. Dont know why though??

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 02-15-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I thought all EVO's were Electronic Ignition....

I ran the stock electronic ignition in my '89 Evo with a Screamin Eagle Ignition Module that provided the rev extend to 6,200 RPM and some ignition timing mods. To use a stock system you would need a VOES intake manifold, Vacuum Operated Electric Switch (VOES), the ignition module, Screamin Eagle if you can get it, the base plate for the magnetic pickup in your cam cone, a magnetic pickup switch and something to trigger the pickup switch. It was many years ago that i changed to the Screamin Eagle Electronic Ignition Module but, that Electronic Ignition System went maybe 15 years i know of without fail.

You might look for the cam cone and intake manifold at a swap meet and convert your old points setup over using stock parts. The only thing you can do above stock is the rev extend and timing advance to get more out of it and the SE Ignition Modules do that for you. All stock Stuff

Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know the 85 is electronic....I have one
Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I thought all EVO's were Electronic Ignition....

Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get the Dyna2000i or Ultima, the dead-revolutions have to be set to zero revs. Otherwise you will get tired trying to kick it over.

You will need a USB programming cable for $45 shipped: https://sites.google.com/site/vrusb2000i

Last edited by Rob85WG; 02-16-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Ignition for Evo Engine