Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front turn signal relocation wiring

Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM
19jake91
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal relocation wiring

I am getting ready to relocate the front turn signals on my 2012 wide glide to the forks. I quickly glanced at the turn signals and the switches, it looks like there are a few short wires that are different colors than the wires that run into the neck. My question is when I move them to the forks how would I go about wiring them? Would I extend the current wires from the signal to the switch?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The signals themselves have their own wires that run to the backbone through the harness and have their own connector. You should remove the connector and pull the entire cable that belongs to the signals. All of the signal wires should be contained in a single wire sheath. It is not recommended to cut and resolder, you have to get at the connector anyways. I just did mine the other day, it was not hard, just took a few beers to get it done.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM
19jake91
Intermediate

That's what I was expecting. When I unplugged the connector in the backbone the right side had two connectors, one with four wires(red,black,and two white with tracer colors) and one plug with one wire going to it. The left side only had one connector with the four wires(same colors as the other side). Are the turn signal wires in the four wire harness?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19jake91
Are the turn signal wires in the four wire harness?
Start here. It's about replacing handlebars, but it focuses on relocating the signals. There are five very informative parts.

Last edited by Shrug; 03-01-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM
19jake91
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shrug
Start here. It's about replacing handlebars, but it focuses on relocating the signals. There are five very informative parts.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXv2de6d6Tg
Thanks for the video, but his setup is different. He has a harness that was against his bar. The wires on mine go up into the switch housing and don't really seem to go anywhere after that.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just relocate them to the garbage can.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

If your signals are attached to your switch housing below your mirrors, the wire coming out of the back of your signal goes into the housing through a grommet. It then goes into the wire bundle that runs down your bars to the back bone. I believe I had 3 wires, one was for running light, one was for signal and one was ground. One side had a White plug and the other had a black plug.

BE CAREFUL TAKING THE THROTTLE SIDE APART! YOU NEED TO PUT A SPACER IN THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER SO THAT YOU DO NOT BREAK THE LITTLE SWITCH INSIDE!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM
19jake91
Intermediate

After taking it apart more, there are three wires that go from the signal to the switch and don't look like they can be removed. In my service manual I found this "On FXDF and FXDB models, the turn signal wiring is routes through the lower switch housings, and the handlebar control modules are replaced with the turn signal lamps as an assembly." So I take it that is what is on my FXDWG which kinda pisses me off.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Strange, going to need some-one with a newer model that has taken this apart to chime in.

My 07 has the wire going from signal light to the lower switch housing and then down the bars to the backbone and plugs into a harness.

The following users liked this post:
Ronald Odett (02-17-2020)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
19jake91
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gommee
Strange, going to need some-one with a newer model that has taken this apart to chime in.

My 07 has the wire going from signal light to the lower switch housing and then down the bars to the backbone and plugs into a harness.
Yea that is how the service manual shows it and of course mines different. Thanks for your input. I wish mine would've been like that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front turn signal relocation wiring