Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Rotors on Stock Wheels

Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Custom Rotors on Stock Wheels

After a flat tire on my tubed laced wheels last fall I want to switch to alloy wheels. My budget is nil with 3 kids in college so I am thinking of going with stock Street Glide take=offs.

Have any of you added non=stock or after market rotors to either stock Street Glide or laced wheels for a different look?

If so would you post a pic?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You're giving is mixed messages, with talk of no dough on the one hand and adding bling custom parts on the other! SG wheels are quite popular, so if you really have nil budget, go for the round spoke touring wheels, which are usually cheaper, as are stock rotors. Take a look at Ebay for take-offs and ignore the buy-now prices, as at auction they usually go much cheaper.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Okay, first off I can get the SG wheels cheap.

Second, stock SG rotors won't work on my '99 so I have to get rotors anyway. Plus I need new rotors on the '99 because they are worn. I am fully aware I will need to change out the bearings.

Does that help?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Okay, first off I can get the SG wheels cheap.

Second, stock SG rotors won't work on my '99 so I have to get rotors anyway. Plus I need new rotors on the '99 because they are worn. I am fully aware I will need to change out the bearings.

Does that help?
A bit! Now let's think this through. Your bike has 3/4" tapered roller wheel bearings IIRC, but the SG wheels will have 1" ball races. The larger bearing housings are why you need new rotors, as they are larger in diameter, so the central holes in your current rotors and pulley won't fit. You will probably need a new pulley as well. The 1" SG bearings can be changed to 3/4" with HD installation kits.

If you have the old style five bolt iron rear rotor, there will be a problem with your rear caliper. I replaced the rear swingarm, wheel and caliper in my 1990 bike for 2007 parts, which is how I came across all this. I set out to replace the old flimsy swingarm, so approached this from a different direction and have my stock front wheel; plus a later rear.

If the wheels are readily to hand and you have the time, it would be worth offering them up, to size things up.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Mr. Brown you are a wealth of knowledge and it is very much appreciated. Of course this appears to be much more than bearings and rotors which I was lead to believe. So maybe my stock laced wheels with just new front rotors from HD will have to do. I haven't purchased the SG wheels just yet. I will have to re-think it.

I get a bit nervous on road trips when we are in the middle of nowhere South Dakota or Colorado and I might get a flat. Luckily my first flat tire last fall was 1 mile from my home.

Okay, so does anybody have any photos of non-stock rotors on stock laced wheels?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

If it is any consolation, we got stuck in France last year. We have cast wheels, but got a flat, with both beads of the rear tyre off the rim. It was Saturday evening, in rural France - which doesn't resume work until Tuesday! We finally got back on the road Wednesday morning, after replacing a split rubber valve stem. Never had anything like that in half a million miles of biking.......

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Well there you go. It can happen to anyone!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got non-stock rotors on my laced up wheels. I found them on ebay, theyre polished and I've never done a thing to them to keep them shiny, just wipe them down when I scrub my white walls. I've never had any issues with flat tires either with laced wheels......knock on wood!! LOL!!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I've got non-stock rotors on my laced up wheels. I found them on ebay, theyre polished and I've never done a thing to them to keep them shiny, just wipe them down when I scrub my white walls. I've never had any issues with flat tires either with laced wheels......knock on wood!! LOL!!

Raceface, those look great. I will have to check them out.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

07 SG - I swapped out the stock black SG wheels for a set of 07 silver RG 9 spoke wheels. Also added the silver RG calipers & EBC 9 spoke floating rotors on them. I think it looks fine.

If you dig around on Craigslist / Ebay / various internet Forum areas where people sell stuff, you might be able to find a set of wheels to fit the 99 w/o issues. Also call around to any shops in your area, often they have stuff sitting there.

.02 worth

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Rotors on Stock Wheels