Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

67 flh

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 flh

well, I was all happy about maybe bein able to go ridin with my son for a first as now he is back. Was away since he joined the AF some 6 years ago and was a kid! I have a new un finally ( since 06), but the issue here is with my old un.. It is pretty much stock, but it was stroked mildly to about 84. It started when it seemed to be DRAGGING to use the electric start. ( kicker days are over for me)( specially on a stroker) so I saw the finally made a starter to fit my gen shovel set up that was supposed to be more torque etc.. put it on, it still drug.. not even enough to fire. so.. after much time and then tearing back into it, we then decided to just put the old starter back etc.. well somehow.. he musta grounded a screwdriver or somethin... BAM the friggin battery blew up! I was scared as hell for him as he was squintin etc.. after rushing him up and flushing his whole face and such, and the next night, we bought a brand new battery, and put it all back together,, then I went to turn on ignition.. NOTHING?!..we triple or more checked all wires making sure they were landed right etc.. yep.. then to throw a wrench in it my manual does NOT show the delco starter relay IN the circuit . but it has another diagram 68 69 that it is in.. but then the posts on my ign sw is wired different?! trying to do some troubleshooting to see what is up. any ideas what that explosion could have taken out? how to troubleshoot with my schematic differences. I am pretty sure the starter relay always was on that bike. I have had it for about 25 years and it has been. This is the first time I traced and actually noticed it is not on my diagram? __________________

Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 2,862 Posts

well you might have left out a few things to get a real answer about a real issue

1 if you were charging the battery for a while and than tryed to start the bike to help with the cranking issue - IF one of the terminals was loose enough to set out a spark - than that was the battery explosion as battery acid while charging and giving off a gas is flamable and does go bang --

2 the starter relay is a tin box under the battery box OEM original and you did not say if it has been modded to something else so its all guessing about the wires and their location -- need more real info

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will check my factory manual (its an old one and has lots of stuff that the new ones left out) and see whats in it. I have a '67 FLB that has it on also and I rebuilt the whole bike back in '80 with a new original wiring harness.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
sixty7flh
Cruiser

flb? new to me? I thought they just made the fl flh and xl back then. Learn somethin every day they say!.... whats the B stand for?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty7flh
flb? new to me? I thought they just made the fl flh and xl back then. Learn somethin every day they say!.... whats the B stand for?

• Harley Shovelhead FLHFB – Electra Glide Super Sport with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLHB – Electra Glide Super Sport with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLFB – Electra Glide with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLB – Electra Glide with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLHF – Super Sport with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLH – Super Sport with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLPF – Super Sport Police with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLP – Super Sport Police with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FX – Super Glide
  • Harley Shovelhead FL – Electra Glide
  • Harley Shovelhead FL Police – Electra Glide Police model
  • Harley Shovelhead FXE – Super GLide with electric start
  • Harley Shovelhead FLHS – Electra Glide Sport
  • Harley Shovelhead FXS – Low Rider

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser

wow! yea, I thought there was just the FL and XL 'till they later took the front end off an XL to make the willie g inspired un. I definetly didn't know about all those others.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Default ok.. I am at the end.. (at least fer now!)

any ideas? Put a brand new starter on, a pretty new solenoid (and it does it job), same with the starter relay, and a new battery... Oh yea, a new bendix starter gear. (HD too). The problem is.. it is pulling so many amps at start, it trips the 30 amp breaker. I can turn the motor over easy, by hand (the kicker), I could turn the bendix gear by hand and it seems to turn all back to the starter ok. I also looked at the shaft's positioning on the clutch ring and it looks great, (easily catches.. not to far in. too far out.. etc. so I am not thinking of something. WHY does it pull all those amps? any ideas or such is greatly appreciated, Like I said I am at wits end..!

dan

Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser

• Harley Shovelhead FLHFB – Electra Glide Super Sport with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLHB – Electra Glide Super Sport with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLFB – Electra Glide with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLB – Electra Glide with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLHF – Super Sport with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLH – Super Sport with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLPF – Super Sport Police with foot shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FLP – Super Sport Police with hand shift
  • Harley Shovelhead FX – Super Glide
  • Harley Shovelhead FL – Electra Glide
  • Harley Shovelhead FL Police – Electra Glide Police model
  • Harley Shovelhead FXE – Super GLide with electric start
  • Harley Shovelhead FLHS – Electra Glide Sport
  • Harley Shovelhead FXS – Low Rider

I pulled up an old book online by Donny Peterson. He says the second "f" designates foot shift, "b" electric start. Maybe I have that then it is a foot shift, electric start. I have owned it for about 30 years, and bought it from a guy who gave me alot of paper work on it and it all said FLH? I see on your list it states supersport what is that? I am pretty sure I read way back that FLH the "H" is higher compression that just the FL?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
flh80
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your timing is advanced too much it will crank hard. Try backing it off a little see if it helps.
Not sure what the MOCo was doing but in '67 only My book list's all FLH's in '67 as "Super Sports", Electra Glides not listed.

Last edited by flh80; 04-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Default interesting

what book? that IS real intersting. I thought it was just XL ad FL?
Hey, preciate another thing to look at on the "why" it trips the breaker too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 flh