General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Even" trade with a dealership?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 AM
N83
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Even" trade with a dealership?

Since I inherited my Deluxe last year I've been wanting to get something more my style. I want to trade it in on either a Fat Boy Lo or Night Train.

Ideally I'd find someone with one of those bikes that just wants to swap but that'd probably take a while to find. There's a dealership a few miles away that has two Lo's that I want to check out, but they're worth about the same as my bike. I know dealerships have overhead, incur costs on getting bikes ready to sell, etc, so I wonder if they'll even take my bike on an even trade with me paying only tax/tags/title fees.

Anyone have any experience trying something like this?

UPDATE

We made a deal! I'm out a Deluxe with a new Fat Boy Lo! It wasn't the one that I posted a pic of- they made it work with the stock 2010 (still black denim).

Total out the door was $1,554. They tried REALLY hard to make it work, and I was shocked it ended up being under the $2,000 I said that I'd pay. I think the difference came from when they applied Maryland's trade-in allowance (only paid $75 in taxes instead of $944).

I'm pumped! It was such a great ride back from the dealership. The bike fits me so much more, and I really enjoy the riding position.

Now I'm looking into a windshield (protection from the cicadas) and maybe a swing arm bag. I need a bag or a good stash spot for my phone since I can't bring my phone into work.

Last edited by N83; 04-17-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you call them?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 630 Posts

the deluxe is a Hot Item , should be able to do it

Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

They'll most likely charge you retail for their bike and give you trade in on yours.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,557 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Simple talk to them. Some models sell better than other in different areas.
If they have 3 of one an1 of yours they may want a trade.
Dealers are there to make money they make more on used than new. Their stuff is gold yours is silver. but deals can be made.
Look around how long have the bikes they have been sitting?
Time of year makes a big difference in many areas .

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM
N83
Advanced

I figure there's a chance, especially if they could sell my bike more easily. I tried to email a different dealership about their Night Train but they wouldn't give me a straight answer- it was only, "when can you come in?" I told them it was only a hypothetical question regarding two bikes of approximately equal appraisals.

I think the important things are that I'm willing to walk away if they are unable/unwilling and I can always look for something worth a little less than my Deluxe.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You'll probably never find any dealership that'll even swap with you but you could ask. and you MAY find an individual to do that. Good Luck though.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Only way to find out is to go try! Don't be scared.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try, yes, but my guess is they'll try to tip the scale unfairly in their favor. Do your homework! Consider selling the Deluxe yourself, then purchasing from the dealer or private owner (my preference). The question you should ask yourself is what $$ of unfairness is worth doing an immediate deal and walking out with the bike you want? It does take time sometimes to sell a bike and you have to potentially put up with bs from potential buyers. Only you can determine what that time/hassle is worth ($$) to you and goes to HD on the quick deal. My 2 cents

Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM
taygull
Tourer

You will never get "the best deal" when trading a bike...with that said if you do a trade you shouldn't have to pay sales tax except on the difference...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Even" trade with a dealership?