Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Recon Dad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak?

My bike 2009 FLSTC leaked oil on the garage floor over the winter storage. The oil tank was empty when I checked it. Put a quart and a half in to bring the level up to the low oil mark.
Ran it for a minute and rechecked the level and the oil was very dirty and overfilled. Oil was full and clean when I put it in storage. Siphoned out a quart of oil and it was at the full mark. Checked the primary and tranny levels and they were full. I run synthetic in the oil tank and HD Formula+ in the tranny and primary.

I had the bike for 4 years and 15,000 miles with no oil leak problems.

Took it to the dealer and they said theres a check valve that leaks over time when the bike sits for a long time? They said that's normal for a softail and I should of started it up with the tank empty and ran it a while before I checked it? I told them I never start any engine with a low oil level?

Any other Softail owners had this problem?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Pravda
Tourer

Sounds a bit absurd for a 4 year od bike to leak oil and it be normal.
Hope the dealer is incorrect and they find out what the issue is.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I have seen in here reports of oil draining into the crankcase, but not onto the floor.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Draining down into the crankcase is normal, draining onto the floor isn't. I've never seen a drop on my concrete floor. I guess this is why the manual tells you to warm the bike up before checking the oil but I can see where it could make someone nervous to start up a bike with no oil showing on the dipstick.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

StudioPeg just had a thread on this exact same issue. I have seen where other rider's have had the same issue after it sat all winter. All your oil drained down into the crank case over the winter storage and making it appear like you have no oil in your tank. When you fired it up it pulled all that oil up and out of the crank case and mixed with all the clean oil. Always check your bike warm after it has sat for an extended period of time. As a side note, the example you just gave is 1 of the main reason's I use the Oil scavenger, and take jabs from some riders for using it. The 1st time I used it I was shocked at how much old dirty, filthy oil is left behind when doing an oil change. I got nearly a quart and a half of old dirty, filthy oil the 1st time I used it. I now use that Oil scavenger every single time I change my oil and I do a complete 100% clean oil change every single oil change and every oil change after that. I have seen where guys have actually made their own "Oil scavenger" type of thing and it works the same. I know a few guys threw a few jabs at me when I said I bought it and that I use it but hey, it's my bike, my money and my oil! I know it has been done that way from the beginning of time. I also don't care what anyone says, what they think or how they fell, respectfully. I don't know how a complete 100% clean oil change every time one changes their oil compared to a 75% clean oil change can be anything but a good thing for your motor. We all know that clean oil is much better for a bike or there would be no need to change it at all. I also know a 100% clean oil change runs cooler too. I noticed my bike runs 10 to 15 degree's cooler since I started using it. The ONLY thing is, is that it's a few more bucks an oil change because your putting in another quart and a half of clean oil. For all the benefits I get from doing that 100% clean oil change, I'll take that hit every single time because of the benefits to my motor, with a smile. What a cheap and healthy thing to do for ones motor and the added miles to the life of ones motor. We all pour TONS of money into our bikes and fuss over them like we would a newborn baby. Why wouldn't anyone, after all the time, blood, sweat, tears we pour into our bikes skimp on an oil change if the technology changed to our benefit? If anyone feels it's not needed or has no benefit's, you can save your breath. I bought the Oil scavenger last year and I would never do an oil change without it, PERIOD! I have since met a few guys in my area because of this site or close enough to where meeting up would not be a problem. If any of you guys, ( or gals) in my area ever wanted to get together and do an oil change using my Oil scavenger, no problem, we can do that. I think if you do you are going to be shocked to see how much old, dirty and filthy oil is left behind to mix with all the fresh clean oil you just added to your bike now turning it to old dirty, filthy oil before you even put 1 single mile on your bikes new clean oil change.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

Yes, its normal for oil to drain from tank into crank case- start it up and let it run, it will be at the full mark.

As for oil on your floor and where your leak probably could be.

Late last fall i noticed oil on the floor under my 07 Deuce. Thought it was a drain plug o-ring, as i pulled the plug adn didnt replace it. but it was coming up higher.

Turns out the Line that goes from the oil tank to drain plug (drain line) was leaking. the issue was is that it went front rubber to hard plastic to rubber onto the drain fitting.

it was leaking where it went from rubber to plastic. the clamps they used didnt seem to seal tight. so i have heard of people removeing the clamps and replaceing with screw clamps to seal it.

OR...

I went to HD ordered a new line, i figured mine was cracked. When i got the new line. it was a complete rubber hose all 1 piece. Must of been an issue and an UPDATE part to prevent this. used it and 2 screw type hose clamps and good as new, sat all winter without a drop of oil on the floor..

May also be your case.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Recon Dad
My bike 2009 FLSTC leaked oil on the garage floor over the winter storage. The oil tank was empty when I checked it. Put a quart and a half in to bring the level up to the low oil mark.
Ran it for a minute and rechecked the level and the oil was very dirty and overfilled. Oil was full and clean when I put it in storage. Siphoned out a quart of oil and it was at the full mark. Checked the primary and tranny levels and they were full. I run synthetic in the oil tank and HD Formula+ in the tranny and primary.

Took it to the dealer and they said theres a check valve that leaks over time when the bike sits for a long time? They said that's normal for a softail and I should of started it up with the tank empty and ran it a while before I checked it? I told them I never start any engine with a low oil level?

How much oil actually leaked on the floor? and where was it leaking from?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:33 AM
Bxm374
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Recon Dad

Did you fix the oil leak?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm not one for thread necrophilia, but may as well add my comment now.

As others have said, oil can run back into the engine sump over time, but I also have a hard time starting it with no indicated oil level, but it doesn't need to show on t he dip stick, if I look into the oil tank and see oil, then that's enough to go with a start and check the level again when warm.

As for the oil leaking to the floor, it is most likely one of these, the oil tank feed line hose, or the oil tank drain hose.
The oil drain hose design has been revised.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-request.html

Old 05-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Friend just did the same thing as the OP about a month ago. Small oil stain on floor and couldn't see oil in the tank. Added a quart and a half to fill it. Started the bike and after about a minuit of running, he was standing next to the bike. Blipped the throttle and the oil cap came shooting by his head followed by a quart of oil. Made one heck of a mess. So yes, be careful not to over fill.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak?