Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: "smallest dot helmets" (ak-88) problem?

Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: "smallest dot helmets" (ak-88) problem?

Okay, I got excited when I first starting reading the ohter post about this helmet. I too am always looking for the lowest-profile, DOT-compliant lid I can find. I thought I found that with the Outlaw that was recalled, and about which there have been several threads here. I did reply to the other thread, but I thought this issue was important enough to start a new thread to try and solve this.

Going to the AK-88 website: http://allforbikers.com/ and watching the two vids left me with some questions.

It sure looks like an identical twin to my two Outlaw helmets...... You know, the ones with the DOT sticker that were then found to be not DOT compliant, causing the big recall stink. The little "Made In China" patch inside the helmet is even identical to the AK-88 one in the video.

How the heck do you find out if this thing is actually DOT compliant before you throw down that kind of money, only to find out it is an Outlaw helmet under a different name? My Outlaws were purchased online for only $50.00 each. This AK-88 is certainly not worth what they are asking for it.

I've attached photos of one of my Outlaws for comparison to the one in the video.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
A5Firearms
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the outlaw one and compared mine to the video and I must agree with you. It is the same identical helmet just marketed under a different name.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you really think a sticker is going to make a rats butt difference how protective a helmet is? A helmet with thin padding (that looks cool!) with a DOT sticker on it is no more protective than the helmet with the same amount of padding that doesn't have the sticker. It's a damn $90 helmet! Do you think for 90 bucks there is some sort of magic material that is going to make the difference. Use some common sense and buy the helmet that that same common sense tells you offers the protection you want. There are no free lunches and there are no skull bucket helmets that are going to offer the protection that a mushroom helmet will.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey rockajet1, most that buy these type of helmets buy them for the look and to comply with the law in certain states, not for ultimate safety (if there is such a thing). If safety is your primary concern in life don't get on a motorcycle.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM
cpita
Tourer

HHHMM, Just ordered my AK88 from all for Bikers this morning, hope it' a good one!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Hey rockajet1, most that buy these type of helmets buy them for the look and to comply with the law in certain states, not for ultimate safety (if there is such a thing). If safety is your primary concern in life don't get on a motorcycle.
That was exactly my point! He was the one ruminating about the fact that the new helmet he bought with the DOT sticker looks just like the helmet that was recalled because the manufacturer could not get it certified. I wear the smallest helmet I can find w/ a DOT sticker. That is only because the cops are cranking down in my area. I used to wear a novelty and when in states that don't require it, the helmet goes in the saddlebag. Ya pay your money and ya takes yer chances!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I own 3 of the recalled Outlaw helmets. Like them alot. I live in Ga. where helmets are required, been through a couple MC road blocks where all there looking at is helmets. GSP always wants to take a look at my helmet. Last one said,, "Unbelievable,,, have a good day"
There is a little difference in this helmet & the recalled outlaw. Besides the quick release this one has that the Outlaw did not have. This one appears to have a full liner on the inside instead of just around the edges & a strip of foam on the top inside like the Outlaw does. May have to give one a try! Beware of the matt black! From my experience with the Outlaw it is simply a rubberized finish sprayed over top of a glossy shell that get soft & turns gummy after a season in the hot Ga. sun! Thanks for posting this!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
hynsonx
Advanced
Default helmet

subscribed

Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Vyscera
Intermediate
Default DOT compliance

from the NHTSA web site
DOT Sticker
Helmets that meet FMVSS 218 must have a sticker on the outside back of the helmet with the letters “DOT,” which certifies that the helmet meets or exceeds FMVSS 218. It is important to note that some novelty helmet sellers provide DOT stickers separately for motorcyclists to place on non-complying helmets. In this case, the DOT sticker is invalid and does not certify compliance.
Snell or ANSI Label
In addition to the DOT sticker, labels located inside the helmet showing that a helmet meets the standards of private, non-profit organizations such as Snell or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) are good indicators that the helmet also meets the Federal safety standard. To date, we have never seen a novelty helmet that has a phony DOT sticker in addition to a phony Snell or ANSI label.
Manufacturer’s Labeling
Manufacturers are required under FMVSS 218 to place a label on or inside the helmet stating the manufacturer’s name, model, size, month and year of manufacture, construction materials, and owner’s information. A helmet that does not meet the Federal safety standard usually does not have such labeling.

check out the listings
http://www.helmetcheck.org/database.aspx

Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this isn't helping the progression of this thread, but is anyone interested in selling their non-DOT compliant Outlaw helmet? Preferably the carbon fiber looking one? Since they are no longer DOT approved, no one stocks them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re: "smallest dot helmets" (ak-88) problem?