Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Need Input-Radials on spoked wheels

Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 PM
U.P. Lou
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input-Radials on spoked wheels

I know I'm getting older and the mind is not what it once was, But, I need input on installing radial tires and tubes on my 2001 Heritage Softail Classic with spoked wheels.
Do I remember that this should not be done or am I just losing it. I want to install Metzeler 888's radial, versus 880's which are bias. Heard a couple of bad things about the new 880's after some manufacturing changes at Metzeler, which very well could not be true. (Who would think that a salesperson would bad mouth a product because he wanted to sell you what he had on hand ?) I sure liked the 880's I bought 3 years ago on another bike, but am set on the new 888's if they will work. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks-Lou

Just got off the phone with Metzeler. The 888's that are presently available are BIAS Ply tires, not radials. Their website is confusing at least to me in that it does not specify this however, it does go on to talk about radials, so anyway, this post is wacko---Thanks for looking at it---Lou

Last edited by U.P. Lou; 05-03-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Lou, I can't see any problems of using radial tyres on spoked wheels. The thing to be wary of is using a radial front and bias rear, although I have never understood why that should be! A bias front with radial is OK and what I currently run.

Wacko post or not, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,518 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Lou, I can't see any problems of using radial tyres on spoked wheels. The thing to be wary of is using a radial front and bias rear, although I have never understood why that should be! A bias front with radial is OK and what I currently run.

Wacko post or not, I'm sure you'll be fine!
The radial's wall tends to allow slightly more roll, and installed on the front with a bias in the rear would increase the chance of a front end washout, ( from understeer.)

The radial in the back with the bias in the front (as you have,) causes a slight slight oversteer, but that's not a problem riding that way.

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by U.P. Lou
I know I'm getting older and the mind is not what it once was, But, I need input on installing radial tires and tubes on my 2001 Heritage Softail Classic with spoked wheels.
Do I remember that this should not be done or am I just losing it. I want to install Metzeler 888's radial, versus 880's which are bias. Heard a couple of bad things about the new 880's after some manufacturing changes at Metzeler, which very well could not be true. (Who would think that a salesperson would bad mouth a product because he wanted to sell you what he had on hand ?) I sure liked the 880's I bought 3 years ago on another bike, but am set on the new 888's if they will work. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks-Lou

Just got off the phone with Metzeler. The 888's that are presently available are BIAS Ply tires, not radials. Their website is confusing at least to me in that it does not specify this however, it does go on to talk about radials, so anyway, this post is wacko---Thanks for looking at it---Lou
The 888's are bias tubeless tires, not radial's. They do have a reference on their web site of them having a radial belt, but they are not radial ply tires. I have a set of the 888's ready for my Heritage when the Dunny's are gone. Dennis Kirk had the best price on them last week. The 888's will be replacing the 880's across the board when Metzeler has the sizes avail.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

bias tires + damper rod forks are long outdated poor performing stuff but cheap which is why harley + others still use them, suspension is hard to tune due to different riders, tire use also varies, you get wear or traction or some compromise of

Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rodhotter
bias tires + damper rod forks are long outdated poor performing stuff but cheap which is why harley + others still use them, suspension is hard to tune due to different riders, tire use also varies, you get wear or traction or some compromise of
There's nothing wrong with bias tyres! However damper rod forks are indeed long overdue their pension. I suspect when the MoCo finally grab the nettle and update the suspension they use across the model range, it will come as a shock to many long-standing owners!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
onespeed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Thread.............I am at this time trying to make the exact same decision.

It would be nice to hear from someone who actually did put radial tires on a softail bike and how it does ride and handle.

I called MOCO and asked about this and there response was " they cannot recommend anything other than what is in print (the owners manual) D402 bias-ply.

I seriousley want to switch to radials.