Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JRI shocks review

Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default JRI shocks review

After shopping around and checking out the different shocks available I decided to put JRI (B) shocks on my 11 flhrc (I went 1 inch over stock because I was informed that they would be the same height when I sat on them with the extra sag)...I am a relative light weight (165lbs.) and was not sure that shocks would make much of a difference to the ride...So, I got them installed and set the sag, and took it for a ride...I was NOT impressed, the ride, although the ride was more solid and grippy was very harsh...I said to myself I will not give up and continued to to with the adjustment dial on the bottom of the valve and I must say that I finally am getting them dialed in and the ride is GREAT.. the handling of the bike is much more solid in turns and over bumps and dips all the while much more comfortable over the bumps, joints etc..I only have about a thousand miles on them and I don't have them dialed all the way in yet, but I am really impressed, I can imagine they will only get better with time....being a light ***, I was concerned about buying other brands that only have a few settings as on other bikes I have ridden I find them all to be too hard, not so with the JRI's they not only ride well there is still room to adjust them a good amount softer if I find the need to..The only thing I can say bad about them is, is that they are expensive and the adjustment **** needs to be dealt with somewhat carefully (if you crank on it you can mess up the internals of the shocks)..they are well made, look good and are rebuildable ...So I (and my back) would like to send to a big kudos to the Motorcycle Metal for making a great product, also when you call them you will get all the information you could possibly need to make a educated decision on shocks and their workings so you you can decide what is best for you....

Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,403 Likes on 876 Posts

yes it takes time to dial them in but I am very happy with mine.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why JRI over the Ohlins? Just looking for info.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
After shopping around and checking out the different shocks available I decided to put JRI (B) shocks on my 11 flhrc (I went 1 inch over stock because I was informed that they would be the same height when I sat on them with the extra sag)...I am a relative light weight (165lbs.) and was not sure that shocks would make much of a difference to the ride...So, I got them installed and set the sag, and took it for a ride...I was NOT impressed, the ride, although the ride was more solid and grippy was very harsh...I said to myself I will not give up and continued to to with the adjustment dial on the bottom of the valve and I must say that I finally am getting them dialed in and the ride is GREAT.. the handling of the bike is much more solid in turns and over bumps and dips all the while much more comfortable over the bumps, joints etc..I only have about a thousand miles on them and I don't have them dialed all the way in yet, but I am really impressed, I can imagine they will only get better with time....being a light ***, I was concerned about buying other brands that only have a few settings as on other bikes I have ridden I find them all to be too hard, not so with the JRI's they not only ride well there is still room to adjust them a good amount softer if I find the need to..The only thing I can say bad about them is, is that they are expensive and the adjustment **** needs to be dealt with somewhat carefully (if you crank on it you can mess up the internals of the shocks)..they are well made, look good and are rebuildable ...So I (and my back) would like to send to a big kudos to the Motorcycle Metal for making a great product, also when you call them you will get all the information you could possibly need to make a educated decision on shocks and their workings so you you can decide what is best for you....
Just curious. How many clicks ccw are you at now on the adjuster?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew Pidaso
Why JRI over the Ohlins? Just looking for info.
I'm curious about this as well. I have two sets of Ohlins from Howard. I set on a Road King, the other on a Sportster. Looking at another set for my other Sportster but wondering if the JRI's can possibly be any better than the Ohlins.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,403 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
Just curious. How many clicks ccw are you at now on the adjuster?
24 which is 4 more than JRI ships them

ps I'm a skinny guinea - 170 lbs

Last edited by Joe12RK; 05-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow. I'm at 16 clicks and still experimenting.
JRi vs Ohlins? I wouldn't remove the Ohlins to buy JRi's. They are very close. (I would remove Progressives.)
I would go with JRi if buying to replace oem's.
Functionality is probably very close but JRi's are even better designed. I brought one in my hand to the service department at my dealer and every tech and service writer gathered around to see them. Everyone was impressed with the build quality.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM
mrspcolli
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the kudos to Howard for working with these companies to offer us such great products.

I ordered the 12" JRIs from Howard for my '11 Road King to replace the stock 13". I weigh in at 185, and was surprised when he said no preload at all is needed (with the spring I have). Still playing with the adjustment valve to dial in the ride, but they are loads better than the stockers (and I can now flat foot with a 29" actual inseam ). The lowered rear gives a slight dragger look that lots of folks compliment me on. I have not noticed a reduction in ground clearance in day-to-day riding.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Howard has started selling JRI quite recently. They are a US brand, which is one good reason for selling them, I suspect. I have his Ohlins which have the benefit for those of us in Europe, where they come from, as service for them is widely available. I don't know of any JRI agents over here at present, but it is understandable that US riders will find them appealing!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 PM
ultrawarrior
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRI s

I rode to Daytona and went straight to Motorcycle Metals booth, there Howard was giving his spill about JRI shocks and how they work compared to other brands of shocks to a small group. After everyone left he started over and that's when I told him fix me up I am ready. 2008 Ultra Classic with 219,000 miles on stockers, with the JRIs I could only get better a ride hopefully. Howard got right on the shocks and built them, then installed, set the sag made some adjustments and I took the bike for a ride to check the shocks four different times at Howards request. After 7,000 miles on the JRIs I never would have thought the ride would be this great. I ride 80% of the time two up and from the back seat there is no comments about bad road anymore and she loves the JRIs. I bought the 13" B adjustable, thanks to Howard for such quick service. I will never have another bike without JRI shocks, they just keep getting better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JRI shocks review