Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fender Protection

Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
bigb56
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Protection

This is a post from another web site that I'm sure would be of interest to most of us including me.

Easy paint protectant !!!
Yesterday I was at Autozone and spotted a product that caught my attention. The guy behind the counter said they only started carrying it the day before. It is a spray on product that dries to a clear film which costs $25 per can. Each can is supposed to cover a car hood.

I bought a can and sprayed my front fender a few hours ago. It was super easy ! When it dried, my fender looked like I had just picked it up from the paint shop where they had just applied about ten extra coats of clear ! No runs, drips or orange peal !

Here is the Link: 3M/Paint defender spray film (90000) | Protectant | AutoZone.com

Youtube Video

Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
dfndr
Road Master

Is it thick enough to protect front of rear fenders on Triglide?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
trike1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But can it be removed when it get ding up.

Originally Posted by bigb56
This is a post from another web site that I'm sure would be of interest to most of us including me.

Easy paint protectant !!!
Yesterday I was at Autozone and spotted a product that caught my attention. The guy behind the counter said they only started carrying it the day before. It is a spray on product that dries to a clear film which costs $25 per can. Each can is supposed to cover a car hood.

I bought a can and sprayed my front fender a few hours ago. It was super easy ! When it dried, my fender looked like I had just picked it up from the paint shop where they had just applied about ten extra coats of clear ! No runs, drips or orange peal !

Here is the Link: 3M/Paint defender spray film (90000) | Protectant | AutoZone.com

Youtube Video

Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Looks interesting....thanks for the info

Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

This looks to me like a very thin silicone film. Not quite the protection of the film nor the life. Many times the heavy film has a problem protecting from many things thrown at it.
This is from their web site:
How does this product compare to professional paint protection film products on the market?

This product is designed to be easily applied at home and is an affordable paint protection option for any vehicle owner. Most vehicles today do not currently have paint protection, leaving them exposed to numerous road hazards.
In terms of protection, this product offers significant protection for at least one year compared to just waxing - what most vehicles on the road use today.
When compared to professionally applied paint protection products, the differences are:
  1. Application method: Paint Defender Spray Film is spray by hand while professional paint protection is a film applied by a certified installer.
  2. Lifetime: Paint Defender Spray Film will last at least one year while professional paint protection typically last for 5 to 7 years.
  3. Durability: Paint Protection products are rated on a 0 to 10 scale using an industry approved test method. Paint Defender Spray Film provides approximately 80% of the protection of common professional paint protection films using the industry standard test method.

All that said, it will cover more curves & humps & valleys easily. Unless the self leveling effect would be a problem keeping the thickness as sprayed on....... Also I think a pressure washer would peal it off if you happened to catch the edge.
I'll wait to see how it holds up I think

Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonder if it could be double or triple coated to bring the protection factor up?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM
dapster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trike1
But can it be removed when it get ding up.
They say it can be removed. Here is a link to a video where a guy put it on a frisbee to test the removal (after he did his hood and bumper on his car), it literally comes off as a clear film. Go to 4:10 in the video to see the removal.

I'm going to try this on several key parts of my bike.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by icebite1
Wonder if it could be double or triple coated to bring the protection factor up?
Should I wait a certain amount of time between each coat?

Each coat should be sprayed on top of the next without waiting. If too much time passes and the film starts to dry before the next coat is applied, it can result in texture or reduced clarity in the final film. If more product or coats are going to be added, it should be done within 10 minutes of when the spray application started.

Can I add layers to get increased protection?

Follow the application process highlighted in the directions and product video. Three to four layers will provide significant protection. Additional layers can be added, but the appearance of the film will be negatively affected.

So I really don't know what the outcome would be. I guess we'll find out from people trying it out....... Sounds like there are a few going to do just that.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 AM
tcrideshd
6th Gear
Default cat removal

how did you do away with cats ? cut out or replace head pipes ? how is the wrap doing?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by tcrideshd
how did you do away with cats ? cut out or replace head pipes ? how is the wrap doing?
I put on a head pipe from a 2009 Ultra. It doesn't have to be ultra, it just happened that way. 2009 doesn't have the CAT. Also had to use an adapter pipe from V&H. The wrap sure does help with the heat from the exhaust on the passenger's legs & feet. Well worth the time & effort !
The heat shields don't completely cover everything, but you have to look for the wrap to find it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fender Protection