Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finding neutral

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 PM
gize
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding neutral

Sounds like a silly topic but seriously. I have owned multiple non Harley motorcycles, never had such a hard time finding neutral. Its not a huge issue but sometimes I tap and up click 6 plus times to get my 2012 street glide to find neutral. What is the deal? I feel like I need the finesse of a ballet dancer to get it to go in. I was told this is normal for a new Harley but I'm now going on 3200 miles and it still takes a magic trick to find neutral. Any comments are welcome. Even you smart asses lol.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 PM
danny4456
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gize
Sounds like a silly topic but seriously. I have owned multiple non Harley motorcycles, never had such a hard time finding neutral. Its not a huge issue but sometimes I tap and up click 6 plus times to get my 2012 street glide to find neutral. What is the deal? I feel like I need the finesse of a ballet dancer to get it to go in. I was told this is normal for a new Harley but I'm now going on 3200 miles and it still takes a magic trick to find neutral. Any comments are welcome. Even you smart asses lol.
It takes some practice, but it's really not that hard. When you have down shifted down to First and it seems you can't find neutral, what I do is let the bike go forward some while releasing the clutch. I can feel it in my words, (set in).. Then I can up shift to neutral. Hopefully this makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
LMCI-Enforcer (05-25-2020)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Buzzard42
Intermediate

Very common until 1st service at 5k. I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 Synthetic at 5k (everyone uses what pleases them) and problem went away. Hope the same for you.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer

Originally Posted by danny4456
It takes some practice, but it's really not that hard. When you have down shifted down to First and it seems you can't find neutral, what I do is let the bike go forward some while releasing the clutch. I can feel it in my words, (set in).. Then I can up shift to neutral. Hopefully this makes sense.
Hmmm...I will have to try that. I have over 40K and I recently changed the primary chain tensioner to the Hayden M6. Before, I had no trouble finding neutral, now it is almost impossible. I have adjusted the clutch several times, to no avail. Most times I get frustrated and just shut it down and deal with it then. I can find it fairly easily once the engine is shut down.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
LeFat1
Cruiser

Neutral is easier to find on any Harley, if some sort of movement or vibration is occurring. I once joked with the service manager at the Harley dealership we worked at because a customer made issue out of this. His reply was, "rev it a little, kick it or try farting"..lol..

Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

What works for me (sometimes) is rev the motor while in 1st and as the Rs comedown try for nutral.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Its easier when you are rolling. If I need to be in neutral, I try to do it before I stop.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 PM
LeFat1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Its easier when you are rolling. If I need to be in neutral, I try to do it before I stop.
Good point, why do u need to be in neutral anyway? I'll bet the OP needs brakes too.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzard42
Very common until 1st service at 5k.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, it takes some practice. Mine can still be a bit tricky but I can eventually find it.

For LeFat1 - I need to find neutral when I get to my work. I have to swipe my ID card across a card reader, which is on my left, to get the gate to open. Kinda hard to do (impossible) holding the clutch in. So the OP may have a very valid reason for needing to go to neutral. Just sayin.......

Quick Reply: finding neutral