Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Tappets

Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Phill.t14
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noisy Tappets

Hi, Can anyone tell me why my tappets on a my Road King 103 cube, 2012 model seems to have noisy tappets?
My bro has a Electra Glide 96 cube, and his engine is lovely and quiet.
I have only done 2500 miles.
My dealer has not given me a satisfactory answer,(they are all like that?)
Will a heaver oil quieten them or could they be a problem?
Cheers Phill.T

Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine are pretty noisy too, I run mobil 1 20 w 50 synthetic and still noisy. I was told Harley switched lifters ( tappets) in 103s. Dealer told me same thing its normal. I was hoping when put new Vance and Hines on will hear exhaust instead. If and when I do cams I will go with new lifters.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 AM
05RKCRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different engines. If you do not like your dealer find an indy that is knowledgeable & have them check it to ease your mind. What ever you do, DO NOT try to cover up the noise by going to heavier oil, additives, etc. My gear drive Woods cams & SE lifters sound like they are coming through the gas tank but it's all good & it runs great.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your bike was built with the 'c' lifters, if so, they are sure to fail. If they do, the results will be nothing short of catastrophic. Your dealer will likely want you to wait until your engine grenades, as warranty isn't supposed to fix 'noisy' parts, only 'failed' parts. If you wish to circumvent your warranty, try locating a set of 'b' lifters or go aftermarket with gaterman or s&s. Woods cams are the exception to this, no amount of expense will make them quiet. They work well but the ramps are steep = more noise. You can find a lot of pictures and stories on the Web about failed 'c' lifters. Typically, the bearings in the roller come out and then the roller starts skating on the cam lobe. This scenario typically requires a complete teardown and many many parts. Good luck....

Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most, if not all the dealers are likely to tell you it's normal. If you have the extended warranty, I'd ride it! If not, I'd put S&S lifters in.

Lots of folk have lost lifters due to the rollers locking up, especially in the 110.

Good luck

Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 AM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like what I am reading. I have a 2013 103 in my SG. I thought it was pretty noisy, and it seems to be getting noisier. (Maybe it is in my head). I probably have the C lifters also. Is there a way to know for sure besided a teardown, or do all of the new 103's have them?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 AM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2010 Ultra has a lifter noise also. Most noticeable at the 2000 rpm range. Seems to be ok so far and ive also been told its normal. I guess if it blows up it will give me a reason to put better cams and lifters in. Best part about a Harley is the simplicity of it.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:08 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they started using the Mexican made 'c' lifters in 2012. If you have excessive noise, you should replace the lifters if nothing else. 'b' lifters are getting scarce. I have almost 2 complete sets saved up. Gatermans are equally good and reasonably priced.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Something else to consider. When I had my indy put cams in my 2013, he told me he's finding the push rods too long. It takes all the adjustment out of the lifters. I'm remembering off the top of my head so the numbers may be wrong but I think he said my push rods were 20 thou too long and that the lifters only have 30 thou of adjustment. That reduced mine to only 10. Instead of adjustables, he takes the time to open the rocker box and use the stock rods and he modified them to the correct length. This guy is extremely meticulous and would have recommended changing the lifters while he was in there if he thouhgt they wouldn't last.

Hopefully someone here is more knowledgable on that then me and can confirm or deny what I just said.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,422 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Some interesting opinions and comments above. In any case, the "C" lifter quality and longevity is pretty suspect. I swapped mine out at 8K mi. and the plating was flaking off the rollers and they felt pretty rough. Installed Gaterman 1023's, adjustable pushrods, and Andrews 48 cams.

Most lifters for this application have .200" of pre-load adjustment travel available. The generally accepted practice, and what the stock design does, is set them too .100" depth, or the middle of the travel envelope. A lot of builders go deeper than that for more pre-load on the valve train, and so do I. Mine are set at .140" depth, and the valve train is much quieter than it was stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noisy Tappets