Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Removing baffles from new Screamin Eagle Slip-Ons

Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 PM
vt_big_dog
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing baffles from new Screamin Eagle Slip-Ons

I have an '07 Fat Boy with the new Screamin Eagle Slip-Ons. As everyone knows, these pipes are considerably quieter that the old SE IIs which I had on my '00 Fay Boy. In examining the mufflers there appears to be a Torx-head bolt on the front and rear of each muffler. I am assuming removing these will allow the baffle to slip out. I'd like to know if anyone can identify what type if Torx I need to remove the baffles (it is a captive Torx).

My understanding is that the new SE baffles for 2007 are packed in fiberglass or some other heat resistant material. I'm assuming if I removed the packing material the sound quality would be better and would not necessarily change the performance characteristics of the engine. Has anyone done this, or have an opinion?

Thank you in advance,

Rick

Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Removing baffles from new Screamin Eagle Slip-Ons

I would like to know the answer also. Surely someone has removed the baffles!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm, my input,,when I got my loud pipe ticket,,
leo said if baffels are removable they are in violation
if thats the case how could new SE's be 50 state legal?

Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

SE's(07) have baffles.....

And they are coated with a Catylitic Compound (Epoxy), vice using a solid core cat.....

Heck, my SE II's have baffles (BCT's), but they are baffles......

Old 12-20-2006, 11:05 AM
07FXST
1st Gear

I have removed the baffles from my 07 SE slip ons.I removed the torque screws and then needed to hammer the baffles out with a dowel. They are wrapped in fiberglass. As far as their configuration, it appears as if they took a typical perforated baffle and modified it. It looks like they made a cut towards the inlet of the baffle and then bent the cut portion such that it completely closes off the baffle, forcing all of the exhaust gases to go through the packing, out the perforations, and finally out the end of the pipe.

I cut a hole in the part of the baffle that is bent so that some exhaust can travel directly out the pipe. I also left the fiberglass wrapped around the baffle. They do sound louder now that I cut the whole, butI doubtthey're SEII loud. In hindsight, I should have just tried to bend the cut portion back up, leaving more like a typical baffle.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
E DOGG
Road Master

where do you buy that tool to get the torx bit out? Or did you use some pliers and a wrench?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:58 AM
07FXST
1st Gear

I just took the torx bit, put it into a socket (1/4" i believe) and attachedthe socket to a wrench.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07FXST

I have removed the baffles from my 07 SE slip ons.I removed the torque screws and then needed to hammer the baffles out with a dowel. They are wrapped in fiberglass. As far as their configuration, it appears as if they took a typical perforated baffle and modified it. It looks like they made a cut towards the inlet of the baffle and then bent the cut portion such that it completely closes off the baffle, forcing all of the exhaust gases to go through the packing, out the perforations, and finally out the end of the pipe.

I cut a hole in the part of the baffle that is bent so that some exhaust can travel directly out the pipe. I also left the fiberglass wrapped around the baffle. They do sound louder now that I cut the whole, butI doubtthey're SEII loud. In hindsight, I should have just tried to bend the cut portion back up, leaving more like a typical baffle.
Is there any way to bend that cut portion back by hitting it with something while the muffler is still on the bike? Other wise I was thinking of just drilling through it.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
zmeister
Novice

I removed the baffles from my 2007 SE's. I took out the fiberglass packing and reinstalled the baffles. The baffles were pretty tough to get out. I used a dowel just barely smaller than the opening at the headpipe end of the muffler. The sound is quite a bit louder and a little deeper than before. I went out for a short (<10 mi) ride. I really didn't notice any change in performance. BTW- this is on a stock (besides the slip-ons) 2007 Street Bob that has had the factory recall (torque calibration) flash. If anyone thinks this willcause problems, please let me know. I don't think it's running any leaner thanbefore.

Here are some pics of the baffles and the packing. (Not sure if the pics will work, I haven't done this before.) -Z

[IMG]local://upfiles/22525/28DB5BB866834E788CA100F3D828717E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22525/71324C6FB83940BC813B2E2F1914D389.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22525/905C5A65F704472C9DDB837CA421D057.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22525/E40EAA5230884FF18784BB602EDDD0F4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting those pics zmeister. Thats just what I wanted to see. I was thinking about taking the baffles out and drilling larger holes or maybe even adding another row or two to get a little more sound and leave the packing in place. After seeing the pics, I'm not so sure thats what I want to do now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing baffles from new Screamin Eagle Slip-Ons