Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Gas Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Street Glide Gas Tank Removal

Looked but didn't find instructions for removing the tank. Wondering if this is a hard thing to do, any tricks to it you may want to share. Previous owner ran some wires around the tank and I would like to "clean it up" and run the wires correctly. Thanks in advance

Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
z06elmo
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you don't need to remove the tank to clean up some wires. having a helper is all you need.
I ran wires under my glide to do some stereo wiring. If i recall two bolts in the front (one on each side) covered by a rubber cover. In the back there are two bolts holding down the tank after you take off the seat. That's pretty much it.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to pull the tank right off, you will also have to disconnect the main fuel line.
It is just a quick coupler on the left underside of the tank.
And depending on the year you may have a couple of wires to disconnect as you lift the tank.
I think from 08 and newer do NOT have the wires under the tank..

The following users liked this post:
AMoore67 (04-25-2020)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It's very easy, and there is a plastic duct way under the tank to run wire through, I did and it works out perfect.

Just separate the fuel line quick disconnect by sliding the collar on the fitting.

Then remove the tank console, you will need to remove the seat to access the two screws at the base of the tank, there is one more screw at the front of the console near the neck, remove gas cap and lift off. Watch for two drain hoses and the quick electrical connection under the console, separate those from the tank.

There are only two screws left, they are at the front lower base of the tank, just pull the rubber boot off to access them and lift tank away.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Depdog
Tourer

Depends on the year of your SG.

On my 2012, you have to remove the "Dash" or top strap first. Take off the seat, where the tank and seat meat there is a single bolt for the "Dash" remove it, at the front of the dash close to the fairing is an allen head screw, remove it. Then open the gas door and take the gas cap off. The "Dash" should come up now and you have to unroute the vent tubes from the clips on the bottom of it.

Put the gas cap back on, remove the vent tubes and the fuel pump wiring (just unplug it) from the top of the tank by the filler. Detach the quick connect from the fuel line, there are two bolts on the rear of the tank where it meets the seat, and then two bolts on the front of the tank, usually covered with rubber grommets. Once those are out the tank lifts off easily.

I bought the manual to show me how, but it was very easy.

Glenn

Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Depdog

On my 2012, you have to remove the "Dash" or top strap first.
Take off the seat,
where the tank and seat meet there is a single bolt for the "Dash" remove it,
at the front of the dash close to the fairing is an allen head screw, remove it.
Then open the gas door and take the gas cap off.
The "Dash" should come up now and you have to unroute the vent tubes from the clips on the bottom of it.

Put the gas cap back on,

remove the vent tubes and the fuel pump wiring (just unplug it) from the top of the tank by the filler. (I just hung mine on some towels over the side by the battery for what I needed to do)

Detach the quick connect from the fuel line, (underside of the tank, left side, rear of tank, push up/while you are pulling down on the collar/then pull it apart)

there are two bolts on the rear of the tank where it meets the seat,
and then two bolts on the front of the tank, usually covered with rubber grommets.

Once those are out the tank lifts off easily.
What Glenn said, 2009 and newer it's pretty simple.
There is a sweet plastic tray on the backbone of the frame to run wires through for protection, so they won't get pinched or frayed in the future.

Of course this all gets easier with less gas in the tank.
It's about 8 lbs per gallon of gas plus what the tank weighs itself.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 AM
5W0P3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but when you disconnect the fuel line, does remaining fuel leak out or is there some sort of check valve or something there? Do I need to immediately having something ready to plug it?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
What Glenn said, 2009 and newer it's pretty simple.
There is a sweet plastic tray on the backbone of the frame to run wires through for protection, so they won't get pinched or frayed in the future.

Of course this all gets easier with less gas in the tank.
It's about 8 lbs per gallon of gas plus what the tank weighs itself.

i seem to fill up everyime i decide to pull the gas tank off. damn thing gets heavy lol

Originally Posted by 5W0P3
This may be a stupid question, but when you disconnect the fuel line, does remaining fuel leak out or is there some sort of check valve or something there? Do I need to immediately having something ready to plug it?
nope, you will only get few drops from it, its like an air line coming from your compressor. i usually grab a paper towel when i disconnect it to catch the lil bit that comes out and then your good.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM
kneichko
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Depdog

On my 2012, you have to remove the "Dash" or top strap first. Take off the seat, where the tank and seat meat there is a single bolt for the "Dash" remove it, at the front of the dash close to the fairing is an allen head screw, remove it. Then open the gas door and take the gas cap off. The "Dash" should come up now and you have to unroute the vent tubes from the clips on the bottom of it.

Put the gas cap back on, remove the vent tubes and the fuel pump wiring (just unplug it) from the top of the tank by the filler. Detach the quick connect from the fuel line, there are two bolts on the rear of the tank where it meets the seat, and then two bolts on the front of the tank, usually covered with rubber grommets. Once those are out the tank lifts off easily.

I bought the manual to show me how, but it was very easy.

Glenn
I have 2012 street glide and removed tank without taking off dash.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
claytucc3
Tourer

Another option to reduce fuel spilling is to remove the main fuse (The biggest one in the fuse box) then hit the start button and turn over the motor a couple of times. Doing this will purge the fuel lines and eliminate any fuel spill. It will also disable the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Street Glide Gas Tank Removal