Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Fluid question

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch/Fluid question

I replaced all the fluids in my SG this morning and to be honest... I really wasn't paying attention to the amount of fluid I put in the clutch.
Went riding and first felt and then saw clutch fluid leaking out of the area around the clutch lever .

My question(s) are: Too much fluid added and the overage is being forced up thru the clutch cable

or I really diddle my bike?

The bike shifts great.... just that Redline leaking thru the clutch cable

Thanks in advance for your help/comments.

Last edited by HD Jim; 07-03-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I'm a idiot !
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Clutch fluid? Leaking around the 'clutch lever'?

I'm going to make a wild guess here...
You never bought a service manual for your bike did you?

Not being an ***, but hard to tell what you are trying to describe as where the leak is...
The 'clutch fluid' is actually primary fluid. The level should be at the bottom of the clutch spring retainer plate, which can be seen by removing the derby cover. The ring on the clutch pack with 6 hex head bolts in it is the clutch spring retainer plate. The oil should come to the lower edge of this plate. I believe the manual calls for 32oz on the '07. Earlier models were like 28oz.
(EDIT: The levels I indicated here are actually for the transmission. The primary capacity is 32oz, if I'm not mistaken.)

There is no 'clutch lever' connected to the primary cover. If you are saying the oil was forced up the clutch cable and leaked out on your hand at the clutch lever on the handlebar, then I'm kinda at a loss here. The primary fluid could theoretically flow through the main shaft in the transmission, and then overfill the transmission through the trap door cavity. But the transmission is vented through a hose behind the primary inner housing, on the transmission case. For it to flow up the clutch cable all the way to the handlebar lever, I would think that transmission vent may be plugged.

Get a turkey baster from the kitchen and suck out what needs to be removed from the transmission filler neck. (you might need to connect a hose to the end of the turkey baster). Check level with the transmission dip stick. For the primary, pull the derby cover off again, and check the level at bottom of the clutch spring retainer plate. Clean excess oil off of clutch cable, and see if that helps.

Last edited by Def Mute; 07-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im not getting how its leaking through the clutch cable. where on the clutch cable is it leaking through. the tranny only holds 28 oz If I remember right. a quart is only 32 oz and you filled it that much to where its leaking through your clutch cable? did you add a gallon ? even with the 28 oz in there it can hold atleast 30 oz before it would even get to the threads for the tranny fill cap. im not getting how its coming out your clutch cable. so where is it leaking from ?

apparently I was typing this same time DEF MUTE was but I agree with him.

re re edit

only thing it can think is somehow you are missing the o -ring on your primary cover and by some amazing happening it going up your cable. this is strange to me

Last edited by mainboom150; 07-03-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: re redit
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

There is no primary (clutch) fluid where the clutch cable goes into the tranny; just tranny fluid.

Something's weird here!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you lube the clutch cable when you serviced your bikel?

Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Im still stuck on u diddlin ur bike lol..if u cant get a manual look on youtube

Old 07-04-2013, 06:48 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I read some of these posts and just shake my head.....

Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

<sigh>

The clutch cable comes out of the transmission on the right side of the bike. The clutch itself is in the primary on the left side of the bike. OP, do you have a hydraulic clutch? If so, that would explain fluid at the lever.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,852 Likes on 21,296 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I read some of these posts and just shake my head.....
LOLOLOL..

Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the above posters advised taking fluid out with a Turkey Baster and that is good advice. Here is some better advice, go buy a turkey baster, don't use your wife's. My wife never lets me forget how I screwed up her Turkey Baster! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch/Fluid question