Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Rubber plug in pilot jet 1983 XLX

Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
amfhd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubber plug in pilot jet 1983 XLX

I just bought a 99% all original 1983 XLX Sporty with 5400 miles on it. Garaged its whole life. It started fine but definitely had carb issues like plugged accelerator pump. When I opened up the float bowl I was surprised to see a rubber plug in the pilot(?) jet orifice. This is a California bike. According to the Chilton manual this plug is in all Sportsters of this year range '80 something to 1985. My questions are, since I have the carb apart is there any easy jetting mods to be done, and should I put the plug back in the pilot jet orifice? Thanks.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

The plug needs to be there. Fuel goes thru the main jet first, then thru a "secret passage" to the slow jet. You can see one end of this passage if you look into the tower that the plug covers. You will see a hole in there just above the slow jet.

You can test to see if the pilot jet is appropriate size when the bike is all together and running, assuming there are no other problems such as intake and exhaust leaks. After the pilot jet has been settled you can test to see if the main might be improved. We can provide more details about this process.

At this point there is nothing you can do but guess. What air cleaner and exhaust system are on the bike? If these are free flowing [K&N filter and Cycle Shack pipes for example] we could make suggestions.

BTW, Congratulations! on the nice find. Please post up some pics to help make us all envious.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 AM
amfhd
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I can see the little passage hole between the main and pilot. The bike has original headers but has screaming eagle mufflers and original air box with K+N filter. I remember when Harley came out with this bike. I thought it was one of the best looking motorcycles ever. And to this day I still think this is what a motorcycle should look like. I have a hard time posting photos for some reason, but I will do my best to get some photos up.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The stock jets are main 160 and slow 52. With the free flowing intake and exhaust you should be able to use a 165 main and a 58 slow jet. You may be able to use larger jets but best to test first.

This thread details how to determine the correct number of turns out on the pilot screw and the correct slow jet size ...

Setting The Pilot Screw on Your IronHead
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=71361

The pilot screw may be under a cap on a tower on the top of the carb unless it has been removed by a PO. Ask again if you need details to remove it. It must be adjusted if you will be changing the slow jet.

You do need to have both of these factory manuals ...

Parts Catalog 99451-85A
Service Manual 99484-85

Put the part numbers into the eBay and Google searches or buy from a HD dealership. Or better yet, buy from a local motorcycle shop - it will cost more but best to support your local indie mechanic, you will be needing him sooner or later.

Last edited by IronMick; 07-05-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

I have an '83 XLX, and with a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner (with a K&N filter) and slip-on mufflers, mine runs well with a 165 main and 55 slow. I don't recall how many turns out on the pilot screw, though. They are cool bikes...here's a pic of mine, modded with a few different stock XLH parts (tank, chrome exhaust, full front fender, bobbed rear fender, etc.)...

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
amfhd
Cruiser

Thanks for the info IronMick. A good carb cleaning was all it needed as the accelerator pump nozzle was clogged, and the air (fuel?) screw needed adjustment.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 PM
amfhd
Cruiser

I went with the 55 pilot like you recommended 83XLX. It is not quite so cold blooded, took some of the carb pop out of it when cold, a small adjustment since it still has the stock air box. Your 83 is a great looking bike, the dual discs are a nice upgrade.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by amfhd
I went with the 55 pilot like you recommended 83XLX. It is not quite so cold blooded, took some of the carb pop out of it when cold, a small adjustment since it still has the stock air box. Your 83 is a great looking bike, the dual discs are a nice upgrade.
Thanks for the props. Hope the 55 works well for you. You can fine tune it with the idle mixture screw. BTW, the '83 XLX came with dual discs. If yours has the single disc front end, it's probably from an '84 or later model.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The 78 to 83 dual disks have a reputation of being not very good. A later single disk would be an upgrade.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior

If you put better pads in the calipers, they're a lot better. In addition to the drilled steel discs (not stainless), I have EBC Kevlar pads, and the brakes seem fine to me. Not like a Japanese sportbike, but fine for normal riding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rubber plug in pilot jet 1983 XLX