Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
kyldh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Audio System

Ok, I'll start off by saying that I understand that nothing good ever comes cheap. That being said, I have an Electra Glide Standard and I'd like to add an audio system. I'm normally a bit of an audiophile (Bose in my car, Klipsch 7.1 surround on the TV, Klipsch 2.1 on the computer). However, I only really intend to use the stereo on my bike on the longer weekend trips. Shorter trips around the area I normally like to just enjoy the rumble of the engine.

That being said... any recommendations for a sound system that I could add to my bike that wouldn't cost $500-700? For how little I'll be using it, I'm just not sure if I can justify that price point, but it seems like everything I've found so far (even buying a used OEM system on eBay) seems to be pretty expensive. I don't really need the system to do anything other than allow me to hook up my iPod/iPhone.

I've seen some of the popular options like Biketronics and Hogtunes, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another option out there that I might be missing. I'm new to Harley; just got my EG a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM
kyldh
Intermediate

Sorry, I guess my thread title should've been something more like "Best Inexpensive Audio System Options." However, getting your opinions on the best sounding and most reliable audio options is also appreciated.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your bike already have the HK HU?

If not - i don't think it will be easy to do this without skipping the amp at least.

GL!

Rob

Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
kyldh
Intermediate

Nope, my bike has nothing but an empty slot. No speakers even. Starting from scratch.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

kyldh.. the cost is going to come in with the head unit if you want handlebar controls. An aftermarket head unit is cheap, the control module to tie into the handlebars is about $230 either hawg wired or biketronics. If you want to use handlebar controls and want to go cheap, I'd simply find a 06 or newer HK unit (look in the classifieds here), slap it in there, adjust the speed sensor setting in the diagnostics menu to accomodate your analog speed sensor and a decent pair of speakers and be done with it.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM
kyldh
Intermediate

Well, I think I've basically found the cheapest option...

Biketronics install kit - $200

Sony DSXMS60 + Speakers & Splash Cover package - $180 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370844368563...84.m1438.l2649

$380 instead of the $550 that biketronics wants to get the Sony M60 head unit complete package. The biggest drawback is that I'll have Pyle speakers instead of Hug Tunes, but you can get a decent set of marine grade speakers from Kenwood or Polk Audio on Amazon for $50, so it's still a lot cheaper this way. I'll probably give the Pyle a shot first and see if they're "good enough" or not.

Just figured I'd post that find in case case anyone else is in the same situation.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

still need the handlebar control module if you go that route and want to use the handlebar controls. That's another $200. If you don't care about that then you done good..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
kyldh
Intermediate

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. Is that a module I need to get from Harley?

The biketronics item description says "Retains Harley™ stock handlebar functions" so I figured I could plug into my existing wiring harness in the bike and be good to go. Not the case?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM
SJ_Phil
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you buy anything, make sure it can handle the vibrations (unique to MC's) and being exposed to weather. That usually means a marine radio. I would never buy a Sony product, period! They're junk. And Sony might well be out of business in the next few years. Talk to the folks at Dragonfly (Google them). They actually talked me out of buying a 4-Ch stereo amp b/c they are releasing a prototypeof a combined unit at Sturgis that will put HogTunes and Hawgwired products to even more shame. As I understand it, the unit will have 300w with THD below .1% That's good dynamic sound! Don't know the price yet. I suspect that any/all sub$500 solutions are going to be "cheap". You get what you pay for. I've seen one guy who bought some cheap-*** stereo and speakers for his Sporty...less than $50. It works...for how long I have no idea. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

no sir that's not the case and you're reading a BT description and some other companies description on eBay... careful

To use an aftermarket (any aftermarket) head unit AND you want to use your stock handlebar controls, you WILL need a control module either from Biketronics or HawgWired.

For an 03 EGC and a Sony head unit, you'll need the BT module, part # BT1000 - $197
Any other brand aftermarket head unit, you'll need the BT module, part # BT1005 - $224

Quick Reply: Best Audio System