Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM
P_RsBO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breakout reflectors

For those of you that have removed the reflectors, did you also removed the one on the rear fender? If so, did you leave the plate on or is there a way to remove the plate as well? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM
parttime379
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u look closely the bracket has a 'push in' type catch so u can remove it too under the fender

Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
crawlgsx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by parttime379
if u look closely the bracket has a 'push in' type catch so u can remove it too under the fender
Can you explain that more?

I would love to remove that plate/reflector but I had read back a while ago it required removing the rear fender.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be removed its just a PITA. Took me about 20 mins but it came out. I carefully used a flathead screwdriver and a hook tool to gently rock the reflector loose and pull it out. Note: it's held under the metal bracket with 3M tape so be patient. As for the bracket on the fender, I left it alone since my only goal was to remove the reflector. Be careful not to crack your paint by prying to hard. Oh, didn't remove the fender either.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 AM
P_RsBO
Advanced

It looks much better with the reflector removed. I tried pulling mine out yesterday and was not successful. I wasn't aware that it was held in place with tape. I will give it another try today. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer

I removed mine when I took off the stock side mount plate to put my own diy mount on. The rear fender is really easy to remove; remove the seat, unhook the quick connects along the back edge (there are 3 for the lights), take out the 4 bolts (2 on each side) of the fender braces below/behind the seat and then pull the whole fender assembly (with braces and all) up and forward. It then unlocks and you can remove the whole thing. Just make sure you have a towel or something to put it on so you don't jack up the paint. There is a plate/brace inside the fender that the reflector is held in with, you can see the brace removed in one of the pics, it is right next to the rear exhaust. You probably don't have to completely remove it to get the reflector out if you are careful. I don't know if any of these pics might help anyone visualize some of it but perhaps they will:

The following users liked this post:
JustmeAP (04-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM
P_RsBO
Advanced

Second try was a success. I did not need to remove the fender either. I used a flat head screwdriver and rocked the bracket loose then pulled it off. Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

Well this makes me feel better.. I was thinking I was going to have to bust out the grinding wheel to get rid of that bracket under the fender!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Amber2014
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Its not coming!!

I used the techniques suggested on here to remove the back reflector (slot tabs, rocking back/forth, LIGHT Screwdriver pry) and it just won't come out. While I greatly appreciate this thread and the info provided by the members.....WTF?!! Going back tonight and trying again.

BTW, how do you guys like the new LED taillight strip available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281240443754...84.m1423.l2649

Ride on....

Old 01-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Originally Posted by Amber2014
I used the techniques suggested on here to remove the back reflector (slot tabs, rocking back/forth, LIGHT Screwdriver pry) and it just won't come out. While I greatly appreciate this thread and the info provided by the members.....WTF?!! Going back tonight and trying again.

BTW, how do you guys like the new LED taillight strip available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281240443754...84.m1423.l2649

Ride on....
Mine would not come out with just prying up with a screwdriver either and I was afraid to go to far as I might crack the paint. One of the raised "****" came out of the slot but the other one I cut off with a dremmel tool, came out no problem. Believe it or not though - because of the huge gap between the fender and the tire, I put it back on - I think it looks better on.

Last edited by Stone Cliff; 01-31-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Breakout reflectors