Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The verdict is out on my streetglide to sportster 48 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 PM
goodolbikerboy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The verdict is out on my streetglide to sportster 48 swap.

About 1 month ago I sold my 2009 flhx in order to buy the harley 48. I was tired of having a boring comfortable ride and I wanted something raw that I could ride the **** out of. So I got the 48. The first thing I did was a set of mid controls and biltwell tracker bars I wanted a very aggressive riding position. I also did som rush slipons a 1.5" tank lift wire tuck and coil relocation. It looks and rides great.
I have been riding the hell out of this thing since day one. And I love it. People bash the seat and the suspension but it isn't that bad as long as your expectations are right. It wasn't meant to be comfortable it was meant to be fun. But if you keep that in mind you can do some long rides. I have gone from sacramento to lake Tahoe on some back roads and I was fine. I have also done a couple 4 hour rides up in the mountains and I didn't want to get off when I got home. And if you ride right you can blast through the twistys like no bodies business. I love this bike. The dealership thought I was crazy getting rid of a very done up FLHX for a sportster and asked why I was downgrading but I feel I have upgraded. I have put on more miles and gotten more enjoyment in the month ive had my 48 than the last 9 months of the streetglide. So I say let the haters on there hogs hate while us riders on our pigs enjoy ourselves and leave them in the dust. I am glade to be a sportster owner. And soon to be a 100+hp sportster owner cause I am getting quotes to do a motor build for my new found love.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Good you are having fun- that is what it's about.
That is why I got a Dyna, I like ripping around and cruising.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
MrPeepers
Cruiser

I rode a street glide and a heritage softail classic at a harley demo ride. Nice comfortable bikes.

But, not bikes for "tearing up the roads" or being agressive

I already had a touring bike and added a sportster. I hardly ever ride the touring bike any more - just the sportster.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 PM
davbib
Advanced

What? No pics? Lets see your bike.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Gotta agree with ya.

I have a touring bike, softail and sporty.

If they wife isn't riding with me, I'll pick the Sporty 9 times out of 10.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats. I just added a 72 to my Dyna for that very same reason. Fun, raw, riding! My Dyna is great, but Sportsters are a breed of thier own. The jump from the tiuring bike must have been incredible. I love the looks of the 48, but I couldn't deal with the lack of lean angle in the canyons and didn't want to jack the looks by raising the suspenders. You must know some riding tricks I don't if you're able to get your carve going. The 72 is practically on stilts by comparrison, but it carries the look perfectly. I was worried about the pizza-cutter front tire at first, but zero problems. Feels very planted.

I'm not manly enough for the seat either (same s the 48). 170 mile trip had me saying uncle. Easy fix for that though.

Enjoy the 48. Beautiful bike!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 AM
goodolbikerboy
3rd Gear

I was dragging pegs when I first got it. The mids helped with that. I also did some some research on advanced riding and found out that if you get you but off the seat and move all your body weight in the direction of your turn you can take corners alot faster and lean the bike alot less . Its a a weird feeling at first but it makes a huge difference. Ive been riding for 20 years but there are still tricks to learn. The way crotch rocket racers throw their bodies around when cornering they do it for a reason and we can learn from them if we want to fly through some corners. Im also learning that line choice helps alot to. Take the outside inside outside line . Getting the 48 has me riding all different and learning about riding all over again.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Gotta agree with ya.

I have a touring bike, softail and sporty.

If they wife isn't riding with me, I'll pick the Sporty 9 times out of 10.
I had the same experience. I had a Road King, Softail Standard, FXR, and FXDX over the years, but always had a Sporty. Like you, 90% of the time I road the Sporty and left the big bikes to collect dust, so I have sold everything except the Sporty. I love my 2006 Roadster, and if I ever buy another bike, it would be another Roadster, but I may "upgrade" to EFI, or maybe not.

Be safe.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my Ultra Glide and got a 2007 XL1200R...it has been a blast! Been riding 43 years and it feels like it did when I first starting riding...big grin ear-to-ear and just love tearing around on it...so, I know what you mean...

Old 07-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subguy
I sold my Ultra Glide and got a 2007 XL1200R...it has been a blast! Been riding 43 years and it feels like it did when I first starting riding...big grin ear-to-ear and just love tearing around on it...so, I know what you mean...
Hadn't thought about it that way. Yeah, that's it. It does make me feel like when I bought my first Sporty from a salvage auction in 1964. Good memories.

P.S. love that yellow Roadster!!!

Quick Reply: The verdict is out on my streetglide to sportster 48 swap.