Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1976 sportster for sale, what's a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM
jameys18
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 sportster for sale, what's a good price?

New to harley's, I was looking to get a new 48 but they are REALLY expensive here in Hawaii and I don't move to Florida until December (military) so I was planning on just waiting until i got there to buy one.

I came across this 76 ironhead (i'm assuming) for sale. I feel like this price is high for a bike in not so great condition that doesn't run with no real clue what's wrong with it.

How much do you guys think it's worth or is it a good idea to jump into a project Harley off the bat? does it look all original?

1976 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH 1000cc with clean title. Slight chop in front end. Needs some TLC to get it running, a new battery and maybe a starter. Ran great about 2 years ago, and just stopped riding it. Comes with motorcycle jack stand.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Far from original ... and if you can't hear it run and ride it ... walk away .. Welcome to the Forum.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 PM
jameys18
Stage III

thanks for the advice. already called back to cancel checking bike out in person.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

It is definitely a project bike not a rider. I would count on spending the rest of this season plus the winter enjoying working on it, and plan on riding it next year.

It needs fork oil, brake fluid, engine oil, and primary oil. It will probably need fork seals which requires dismantling the front end - not a big deal but you need a workshop, tools, that motorcycle lift that is included, tools and more tools.

Needs new tires regardless of how good they may look.

Note that the frame has been painted so it has been stripped down and put back together by ???? if the current owner then it may be a bad job.

Note that it is a hardtail frame - no rear shocks! Very few guys would want this as a daily rider. If it is a bolt-on rather than a weld-on hardtail you could buy a swingarm on eBay for $100 and shocks for another $100, and bolts etc to mount them for another $100 [shock studs are not cheap].

After market oil tank [may be home made], home made battery box, after market head lite, mirrors look wrecked, no turn signals or instruments, electrical system is most likely a home made mess, except for what looks like a generator with an end mount regulator [which may be a good piece!].

Looks like a wide glide front end? OK for looks if you like it but no value otherwise.

If you want a project bike it may be worth something. The engine not running has a major reducing effect on the value. It is not worth much as a parts bike as all the good stuff that would sell on eBay is gone.

Given your short time in that location i think i have spent enough time on this. You should run, not walk, away from this POS.

Last edited by IronMick; 08-19-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM
jameys18
Stage III

Man do you know your Harley's! Thanks for the break down, gives me a chance to study that pic searching the different parts you brought up to learn something. Sounds like I could have made a HORRIBLE decision that probably would have put a put a sour enough taste in my mouth to never mess around with a harley again. Sure am glad I joined the forum! yea, I'll stick with a new bike as my first. Sounds like alot safer route.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Nothing wrong with an old Ironhead Sporty, ya just gotta pick the RIGHT one....and that's not the right one. When looking at an older bike, the closer to stock, the better. If it looks like crap and runs like crap (or doesn't run) it is crap.
You should be able to find a "relatively" stock, good running, good condition, late '70s Ironhead for around 3K + or -.

Good luck.