Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Burly ape hangers clutch cable problem

Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Lewi-G
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burly ape hangers clutch cable problem

Open to suggestions
My son and I installed 14 inch Burly bars and cable kit on his 02 sportster all went well and pretty simple except for clutch cable,dry or really well lubed
from lever all the way down with any arc at all in the cable pulling the lever in is very hard it drags and chatters as if in a bind. you can disconnect the cable roll it into a circle or any shape and still move cable freely. Everything is hooked up right and worked smoothly before cable change. Has anyone else had this problem?
or have any suggestions?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
greatmalinko84
Stage I
Default 05 Dyna

Hey there, im having the same exact problem with my burly extension kit. I bought 14" bulry brand ape hangers and a 14" extension kit to go with it and since i installed them ive been having the same exact problem... I took my bike to a harley dealer in the area and he said its just a cheaply made cable, but im not so sure i buy that as an "expert" answer. I'm still looking for a better answer.. If you've found any fixes feel free to share lol.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greatmalinko84
Hey there, im having the same exact problem with my burly extension kit. I bought 14" bulry brand ape hangers and a 14" extension kit to go with it and since i installed them ive been having the same exact problem... I took my bike to a harley dealer in the area and he said its just a cheaply made cable, but im not so sure i buy that as an "expert" answer. I'm still looking for a better answer.. If you've found any fixes feel free to share lol.
damnit... it's the burly cable... just did mine and it's doing the exact same thing.. have been searching the forum to see why my clutch is so "grabby"... everybody with the problem seems to have a Burly cable

Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
oh4nighttrain
Stage II
Default Burly Cable

Yep, mine is the same way. I would think with a name brand like that, you could count on quality. I was hoping I just got a faulty cable, sounds like they are all faulty. I have e-mailed them, waiting for a reply. I will call them tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Burly ape hangers clutch cable problem-imga3085.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Night Train no.7
Intermediate

Damn. I'm about to buy that kit. Other than that is the kit a good buy

Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 PM
atulin6327
Stage I
Default Burly clutch cables

I was planning on putting 14" Burly narrow apes on my 2010 Dyna Street Bob. I recently read several comments on the HD Forum regarding issues with the Burly clutch cables which are included in the control extension kits. This made me think twice so I called Burly today and spoke to a service representative. I was told Burly has isolated the problem to a single defect which was causing the clutch levers to feel like they were sticking. I was told this problem has since been corrected. I will definitely be purchasing these bars and extension kit after all. I hope this helps anyone that has purchased or is planning to purchase these bars.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 AM
SandersHD07
Stage IV

I bought the 16" kit for my 01 1200 Custom with 14" Burly bars (and that factory 3" riser) and have had zero problems. The hardest part of the whole kit was to route the wires through the handlebars. After that however you just simple plug everything back in and keep on going with your throttle cables, clutch, etc. It took me and 2 of my buddys and a case of Bud about 3 1/2-4 hrs to install the whole kit then do a nice burnout to celebrate. This is a really nice kit and i dont even think i glanced at the instructions.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
cdavisw
Stage I
Default Problem with Burly Extended Clutch Cable

Did anyone ever figure anything out on this? I have an '02 Sportster and I put the 14" Burly bars and Burly cable kits on my bike. My clutch "grabs" when I take off in first gear. There really is no "middle ground". It's almost as if it's either IN or OUT!...I've adjusted the clutch and I know it's correct. I've even changed clutch levers to see if my other one was somehow defective. Everything was working fine before I installed the new bars and cables. Throttle cables work fine.

Any help much appreciated!!!

Ride safe...

Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Bobber883
Stage III
Default Burly problems

To all haven problems with Burly clutch cables!! The problem is the nylon coating on the cable itself. At the end that the nylon sticks out when u puch the cable end to end trim the nylon off. It should b the end that connects to the lever. Its get caught like a hang nail for example an makes cable very tight. You would think for the Big Name that it wouldnt be this way but it is what it is. I had to do it to mine an it solved the problem.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM
88fxrp
Stage III
Default Burly Extended Cable Clutch binding

Me too. Just installed burly 14" apes & wire/cable kit on my 2009 FXD. I've adjusted the clutch 10 times. Binds like hell no matter what. Ridiculous. I expected better quality from burly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burly ape hangers clutch cable problem