Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip review of 2014 Ultra Limited

Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Trip review of 2014 Ultra Limited

As promised, a review of my 2014 Limited after a 700 mile trip this weekend.

In a nutshell: These bikes are a game changer, and a whole new level for Harley. WOW!!

For reference, in the past I have owned throughout my riding life:

Metric:
Yamaha XS400 Special
Yamaha 650 Maxim
Yamaha 750 Maxim fully dressed
Honda Goldwing 1200 Interstate
Yamaha Venture Royale 1300
Honda VTX1800C

Harley:
2003 Electraglide Classic (bone stock)
2005 Electraglide Classic (stage 1 and slip-ons)
2007 Street Glide (Stage 2 103" with 255 cams, slip ons, dyno tuned)
2009 Street Glide (Stage 1 intake, slip ons, dyno tuned)
2014 Ultra Limited "wethead" (slip ons only, no intake or flash/tune)

1. Power: FINALLY, a Harley I DONT have to dick with or sink money into for good performance. My 09 ran and pulled REALLY well. It had an excellent tune. Sometimes I missed my stage 2 103 2007, but I was happy with the 09. I dont need to hot rod, just wanna go up a canyon without being in 3rd gear. The 2014 did NOT disappoint. Some of the same grades I pulled on the 09 that required downshifting, the 14 just tractored its way over, no downshift, no effort.

Asked my girlfriend if she wanted to feel what 100mph on a Harley felt like. Got there in the blink of an eye, just rolled it on, and boom. It happened so fast I went to 115 before I knew it (2up and fully loaded) and Sofia was not even breaking a sweat. Was well on the way to burying the needle, but our do-rags were about to bail off, so I backed out. My riding buddy said we flew by like he was standing still (at 80mph)

My 09 would only hit about 100 2up and loaded, and it took quite a while to get there. The 2014, dont blink, or you'll miss it. Passing power on the highway? CONFIRMED in spades.

2. Handling. This thing is so nimble its crazy! But at the same time, very planted. HUGE improvement. BY FAR the best handling bike I have ever ridden, with the only possible exception being a GL1800, but its a close call.

3. Smoothness: Crazy smooth. Allmost NO vibration. Period (cept at idle.) World class.

4. Buffeting: Gone. End of story. Had a 10" windsplitter put on. It was the calmest pocket of air I have ever felt on a bike, GL1800 included. It was so calm, I decided to try the 7" windsplitter like I had on my 09. STILL calm and no buffeting. Some wind yes (its a very short shield) but it was CLEAN air. Lorraine confirmed the back seat was also very much improved over the 09 for buffeting.

5. Heat. What heat? We were in 80-90 degree temps. This is the first Harley I have had with lower fairings. Always wanted them, but didnt want the heat retention. My Stock tuned 14 Wethead is cooler with fairing lowers than my dyno tuned 09 was without them. By far. Put my hand down in front of Lorraine's right foot, barely warm. She confirmed MUCH less heat than on the 09. Had no heat issues with the exit vents on the lowers when riding on my highway pegs either. NONE.

6. Infotainment. This thing ROCKS! Was so nice to throw a bunch of tunes on an 8 gig memory stick, and go. The stereo will search the stick based on artist, genre, album, etc. Far as I can tell, with the memory stick, no way to create subfolders or playlists though. Streamed bluetooth from my phone as well. Have not yet hooked up the iphone via USB, but im sure it works great and allows playlists. FWIW, the memory stick was formated for a Mac. Saw it no problem. Radio (AM/FM) can also search stations by genre, and only show you the ones you choose, which can be more than one. (country, rock, etc)
Did not mess with the GPS. Probably wont use it that much, but nice to have if i need it. Did not use CB or intercom yet. Weather band popped up 3 times with a storm warning. Got 2 phone calls (did not answer them-no headset on and would not have anyway) but I think its nice to know you GOT a call. Me personally, Ill wait till I stop to call back, but cool that I know I MISSED a call. The system seems complex at first, but once you play with it a bit, it actually makes perfect sense, and is very easy to use. LOVE the joysticks. Lorraine commented that she COULD in fact, hear the rear speakers much better than on my 09 (they are 2" further apart and angled better)

7. ride comfort: Excellent. Best I have ever ridden. Period.

8. Controls: Very nice. The switchs are very "short throw" (turn signals etc) very nice having the cruise on the left side. Very easy to engage and use.

9. braking: HOLLY CRAP this think will stop on a dime. If you had a pre-brembo bike, remember how big of an improvment the brembos were? This is every bit as much of an improvement. Side note: while crusing through some twistys, It dawned on me that I can leave my feet on the highway pegs, cause I don't technically need to use the rear brake pedal anymore to get both breaks. In the interest of keeping a good skillset and riding habbits, not gonna rely on the linking, still use both controls. But its cool to know if im on the highway pegs and need to get on the binders hard and quick, the front lever gives me both.

10. Fit and finish: I dunno if its cause she's brand new, but I swear the paint and chrome, and overall quality of the look has been stepped up a couple notches. Maybe its cause the color just looks more rich or something, but I don't think so. My O9 was kept immaculate and was in showroom condition (literally) but I still think this one is even nicer overall.

11. Stock seats seems better than anyone I have ever had, but I put my custom mustang on anyway, so not a lot of seat time on the stocker.

12: back seater opinion: Lorraine said she can defiantly tell a difference in every aspect, and thinks its a MUCH nicer bike.

A few pics of Sophia:

A few trip pics (2 days, 700 miles, southern Utah Scenic byway 12 & 24)

Last edited by flyingace; 09-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

damn nice review great to hear about happy riding hard to believe that power difference

Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds good.....
Only reason your 09 SG had heat was because of the EPA rated Stage 1 flash which still had it running lean. My 09 SG with my mods has no heat to speak of. I thought for a few moments about a new SGS but at my age, starting over to get the bike where I would want it and having monthly payments pushed that thought right out of my head. I'm a person who has to mod everything I own and could not ride a stock bike, even a CVO. Not jealous of you 2014 owners except for the saddlebag opening system, plus right now, I think my money would be better spent on moving out of NJ to the Carolina's near the Smokey Mountains...

Read your post again and if you had a fuel management device on the 09 and a dyno tune, it appears that it was tuned for MPG (lean) and not for performance (slightly rich). But I may be all wet with my thinking......That 09 SG was a beautiful bike......

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 09-02-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
euchre98
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new bike. Keep on racking up the miles.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:33 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Sounds good.....
Only reason your 09 SG had heat was because of the EPA rated Stage 1 flash which still had it running lean.

Read your post again and if you had a fuel management device on the 09 and a dyno tune, it appears that it was tuned for MPG (lean) and not for performance (slightly rich). But I may be all wet with my thinking......That 09 SG was a beautiful bike......
My 09 was DYNO tuned. Not a flash or an EPA compliant tune or canned map. Had The SERT and a custom tune. It did not run lean. Your making a LOT of assumptions there bud. You know NOTHING of how my 09 was tuned, unless your a psychic .

Last edited by flyingace; 09-02-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
My 09 was DYNO tuned. Not a flash or an EPA compliant tune or canned map. Had The SERT and a custom tune. It did not run lean. Your making a LOT of assumptions there bud. You know NOTHING of how my 09 was tuned, unless your a psychic .
Like I said, I may be all wet with my thinking!!!!!

Just going by how my bike runs and just seeing your 09 SG, I know you are as **** as I am with your bike and I should have known better then to question your tuning. If you had mentioned the SERT, I would have never made mention of the heat issue.

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 09-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Like I said, I may be all wet with my thinking!!!!!

Just going by how my bike runs and just seeing your 09 SG, I know you are as **** as I am with your bike and I should have known better then to question your tuning. If you had mentioned the SERT, I would have never made mentioned of the heat issue.
No sweat bud.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I think the new bikes and future models are game changers for HD.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Jzl0gl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sophia is the exact bike I want - looks great!!! What kind of slip ons do you have - V & H?
Outstanding review! Thanks

Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 PM
SS Twin
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for a great real world report and some super pics . Bikes, riders and passengers all look great and it seems like a super weekend.

I'm particularly impressed with all the performance improvements in all the areas that you reported. There's so many uninformed "naysayers" that is a treat to hear first hand good news from someone who is actually able to speak with authority.

Here's to many more happy, hi performance miles for you and your riding partners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trip review of 2014 Ultra Limited