General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 problem?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 problem?

Ive seen at a different site posters bringing up a problem found with some new liquid cooled bikes. several posted of their bikes puking coolant after a ride... anyone seeing this?

interested in what HD has done... not trying to bash... Id expect hd may have a few bugs with new model

Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

There had been some discussion on this issue here as well.Just use the search button.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:39 PM
sa53
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These bikes will be fine. Nothing new about water cooling a motorcycle.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:39 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anytime a new technology is offered there are bound to be issues. This is one of the reasons I normally won't buy first year production bikes or cars.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:41 PM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by sa53
These bikes will be fine. Nothing new about water cooling a motorcycle.
but it is for HD.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HDogg
but it is for HD.
You sure about that? There are quite a few VRod owners that would disagree.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as suggested I searched the forum... so I found a post with this same topic,,,
in that post owners were posting about proper method of shut down.... maybe one way left coolant by the heads with the fans turned off... over a different turn off method leaving the software able to see the temperature and leave the fans running to cool down.... .. did any of you look into this? did HD say anything or do a software upgrade?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:34 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Biscuit
Ive seen at a different site posters bringing up a problem found with some new liquid cooled bikes. several posted of their bikes puking coolant after a ride... anyone seeing this?

interested in what HD has done... not trying to bash... Id expect hd may have a few bugs with new model
My 2014 Limited leaked twice. The second time it happened my dealer spent a little over a week replacing cooling system parts, followed by test and re-test. Now that the bike is fixed I have taken a couple of nice long rides without a issue. This is not a big issue, smaller in fact than most Harley has had in the past with bikes.

The reason I was not all that upset was because I like the 2014 Limited that much. I have owned 11 new Harleys in my life, starting with a 1990. This is by fare the best, the first Harley I have purchased that exceeded my expectations right off the showroom floor. Great power without pinging, no real heat issues, the motor mechanically sounds right, you will love the touring comfort, exceptional handling and braking.

My number one reason for buying as quickly as I did was as follows:

1. Took the bike on a test ride and fell in love; a huge leap forward from my 2007 SE Ultra
2. I felt that the bike was such a move forward that it would really hurt the resale value of my 2007 SE Ultra; as more and more people sell or trade-in the older bikes to buy the new one it has to bring down values.
3. My dealer offered me what I considered to be a fair trade-in value, the difference was affordable....so I decided to strike while the iron was hot.
4. The color I wanted; the custom option, Daytona Blue is a limited availability color. I am told that it will only be produced during the first quarter of the years production.

I feel you can buy a new 2014 without looking back. The only real issue they have had has been the coolant leak once parked. It has taken a few weeks to sort out because it is new, not because their is a engineering issue or anything like that. I have heard that their may be a recall over the radiator cap. A lot of them were put on incorrect due to the tight space, not due to any real big issue. It's not like we are having mechanical issues with the motor, every post I have seen raves about how good they run.

Good luck to you

Scott

Attached Thumbnails 2014 problem?-ultra-limited-2014-002.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 11:05 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Liquid cooled" and "Harley Davidson": Who'd a thunk it

Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 AM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
You sure about that? There are quite a few VRod owners that would disagree.
They can disagree all they want but the fact is HD just hasn't got this as right as they want or should be by now.Heaven knows for the rest of the manufacturers it is already a no brainer technology.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 problem?