General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Rear Suspension on 2014 Streetglide?

Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 AM
bluedeuce4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Rear Suspension on 2014 Streetglide?

I have been hearing that 2 up riding on a 2014 Streetglide is terrible. They say it bottoms out all the time. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2014 Streetglide, so anyone that owns one, if you can let me know if this is true or not i would appreciate it. Thanks guys

Old 09-22-2013, 06:30 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

a guy I work with had the same problem riding solo until an Indy checked his bike (2010) over for him and found zero psi in his shocks

Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing how many people "trust" someone else to have checked out their bikes for them. You might have a great dealer with an employee that had a bad day. You might have a crappy dealer. Ride off with no psi in the shocks and then worse case come off your bike. Best case try to get the dealer to replace the shocks you ran without air in them.

We are responsible when we ride to make sure we have checked out our own bikes. Cant believe people ride their bikes without checking out the essentials before every trip. I just do not understand how a rider can take a bike to a shop to check out his suspension issue without understanding he needed air in his shocks.

People need to invest in tools and service manuals before they buy the pirate gear on the other side of the shop. Sometimes I wish AMF was back just to weed out our gene pool ...

Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 AM
ronherman
Tourer

so there is something that didn't change on the SG!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 AM
vegashd
Banned

Get a street glide special! Great rear shocks!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
Amazing how many people "trust" someone else to have checked out their bikes for them. You might have a great dealer with an employee that had a bad day. You might have a crappy dealer. Ride off with no psi in the shocks and then worse case come off your bike. Best case try to get the dealer to replace the shocks you ran without air in them.

We are responsible when we ride to make sure we have checked out our own bikes. Cant believe people ride their bikes without checking out the essentials before every trip. I just do not understand how a rider can take a bike to a shop to check out his suspension issue without understanding he needed air in his shocks.

People need to invest in tools and service manuals before they buy the pirate gear on the other side of the shop. Sometimes I wish AMF was back just to weed out our gene pool ...
I agree, at least read the F'n operators manual. All hes interested in right now is buying a custom enclosed trailer with cabinets to store his riding gear and for some reason wants one low enough to fit inside his garage.

I started drilling him....
What size engine 96" -103 - 110? No answer
Is it counter balanced? No answer
Does it have an oil tank under the seat? No answer
And he's had the bike for 3 years now lol

He bought it new and the only thing he can tell me about it is its denim black and has a V&H 2:1.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM
lowend73
Tourer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
I agree, at least read the F'n operators manual. All hes interested in right now is buying a custom enclosed trailer with cabinets to store his riding gear and for some reason wants one low enough to fit inside his garage.

I started drilling him....
What size engine 96" -103 - 110? No answer
Is it counter balanced? No answer
Does it have an oil tank under the seat? No answer
And he's had the bike for 3 years now lol

He bought it new and the only thing he can tell me about it is its denim black and has a V&H 2:1.
Was it by private message? I am sure you made him feel great putting him on blast like that. Hopefully he does get a service manual, and hopefully you stop acting like a gossipy woman.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
harleyjoe2014
Stage III
Default 2014 street glide

Originally Posted by bluedeuce4
I have been hearing that 2 up riding on a 2014 Streetglide is terrible. They say it bottoms out all the time. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2014 Streetglide, so anyone that owns one, if you can let me know if this is true or not i would appreciate it. Thanks guys
Well hope this info helps have 500 miles on my new street glide and my wife hates it looking into trading unless I can figure how to improve the ride.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ronherman
so there is something that didn't change on the SG!
No kidding. If someone is looking for just ok rear suspension, don't look at a FLHX, because they would have to improve a bit to get to be just ok.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Not just the 2014 models...pretty much all FLHX years have suck-@$$ suspensions. I fixed my problem by swapping front fork oil and changing rear shocks to Progressive 940's. Much smoother ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Rear Suspension on 2014 Streetglide?